Tuesday, November 25, 2008

PACKAGE! Chicken Parm

Thank you guys so much for your kind well wishes for my doctors appointment today! The appointment went well but the doctor decided to send me for some more tests and to another doctor- sigh! Silly digestive problems!

Any who, I got the BEST package today from Josh's mom! I was so excited about the goodies I only took 1 picture and its totally blurry haha!

Included in this package is many of my favorite things- coconut, dried pineapple (!!), soup mixes, bread mixes, pumpkin coffee, scone mix, ground flax seed, the biggest bag of pine nuts and pecans I have ever seen and an advent calendar! I was so thrilled! I may or may not have had a ton of the pineapple before I taught Body Step tonight.... ;) I LOVE pine nuts! Do you guys have any fun ideas for what to do with pine nuts or recipes? Please send them my way!!!

For dinner tonight I made "chicken parm" with whole wheat pasta. I used this pasta:

The shape was really fun! To make my chicken parm, I did the following (I think I've posted this before):
Ingredients:
Chicken breast
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Cheese slices or shredded cheese
Pasta sauce
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Place lemon juice in water in one bowl, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a second dish. Dip chicken in lemon juice/water and then in bread crumbs/Parmesan (pressing chicken into the bread crumbs/Parmesan to make sure it is covered). Place on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes on each side (check to make sure its no longer pink). Place cheese slices or shredded cheese on top and bake for 2-3 minutes longer until cheese is melted. Cover with pasta sauce. Serve with pasta.





The sauce I used tonight was rather watery (see plate above)...sort of a bummer!
1 more day of work! I need to chug tons of water tonight because I am giving blood tomorrow! Are you off tomorrow or do you have to work?


25 comments:

Maggie M. said...

Not off tomorrow, but excited for the long weekend :)

That's awesome that you're giving blood!

And dinner looks delish. Hooray for goodie baskets!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hang in there with the appointments, girl!!


**Fun recipe idea for the pine nuts:

http://veggiegirlvegan.blogspot.com/2008/03/pine-nuts-dried-apricots-and-overripe.html

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

pine nuts are perfect to make pesto!!! I just made it last weekend, and it's incredibly delicious~~~~

I don't have to work "officially", but I will work for myself.

Anonymous said...

Delicious dinner and what a wonderful goodie basket! I use pine nuts in pesto.

I'm off tomorrow!! Yay!!

Esi said...

I use pine nuts in pesto for sure. I also saw this recipe today that looks really good:

http://foodlibrarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/martha-stewarts-pine-nut-cookies.html

Anonymous said...

Yeah, pine nuts in pesto. Classic!
Those pastas look like they would catch filling really well.
Oh yeah, sometimes my mom just toasts the pine nuts and puts them on salad or pizza, that's yummy too!
I've missed you so much Erica!

Krista said...

What a great package of goodies! I love treats!

Trying To Heal said...

dang, that is a freak'n rad package!!!

hope the appointments goes well...i want you to be all better again!

i have pine nut recipes...i'll look for them and give you a hollar...but let me just say, i think they go best toasted, w/ steamed broccoli and a sprinkle of parm cheese...omg so yummy.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Pine nuts make really good cookies. I think Mario Batali might have a few on the food network. Such great goodies.

I am Angie Pooh said...

Yay for one more day of work. :-) I have one more day of school! The chicken parm looks sooo delicious!!! And I think it's awesome you're giving blood.. I'm too big of a wimp!! Lol

Anonymous said...

I'm off tomorrow! Oh wait...I'm unemployed :( haha but that's awesome if you are!! Good luck with the blood, i do that as often as I can b/c I ran the blood drive in HS! Also, advent calendars are my absolute fave, that's soo cute she sent you one!

Fitnessista said...

i'm so impressed you're giving blood.. i wish i could do it without getting sick and passing out :/
chicken parm looks amazing!
last time i used pine nuts i just toasted and added them to a whole wheat pasta with steamed asparagus, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and a little parmesean, lemon juice, zest, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper
hope you have a great night

ChickPea said...

My favorite way to use pine nuts is in pesto! I have made an edamame pesto in the past with garlic and frozen shelled edamame--it's great over pasta and veggies!

Pearl said...

aww how sweet! what a nice package to receive! :)

feel better!

Anonymous said...

What a fun package!! So many great things inside! :)

Your chicken parm looks great!

I hope all goes well with the dr. appts. I have many, many issues with my tummy as well ... I really have to watch what I eat and I take a digestive enzyme daily.

I will look through my recipes ... I know I've used pine nuts somewhere lately ...

Have a great day!

HangryPants said...

If you're interested my mom makes the best pine nut cookies at Christmas. I can get the recipe.

Also, pesto is a good idea, too. I use basil and spinach, olive oil, lemon and garlic with pine nuts. Blend it all up and there ya go.

Maria said...

More doctors..not fun, but hopefully they will be done with you soon:)

What a fun package!! You are a lucky gal!! I love making pesto with pine nuts..or toasting them and sprinkling them on top of other pasta dishes.

I have tomorrow and Friday off! Yahoo!! I can't wait!

Tina said...

I love packages!!! So fun!

Jenn said...

You have the best in-law ever.

I'm at work, but it's an easy day. :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun package! Giada de Laurentiis has a lot of recipes that use pine nuts, maybe try her?

Good luck getting to the root of your tummy problems - that doesn't sound like fun :(

Unfortunately I have class AND an exam today, nothing says Happy Thanksgiving like physics ;)

Sarah said...

Hi friend!!

Your chicken parm looks really good, nice presentation!

Have a wonderful holiday at your aunt and uncles; I'm still having a hard time adjusting to changes in holidays after marriage- it's so hard!! I just want to be with my family on those days. I guess I'm not good at sharing. :-(

Girl, anytime you want to have lunch I am down! I will make you a pumpkin-cranberry feast!!

Lori said...

What a great package of goodies! Is that one of those fun Advent count down to Christmas calendars with a chocolate behind each window? :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm off of work for the rest of the week -- so excited! Sorry about the dr. stuff...no fun. :(

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks wonderful! I hope the dr. visits work out.

Anonymous said...

i want your advent calendar - i've been looking everywhere!