Saturday, November 22, 2008

Brussels, Chicken and Rice Bake (HEALTHY!!)

How is your weekend going? Mine is going really well :) I got up and taught Body Step this morning (which went really well!!) and then stayed and took Body Pump. It was a pretty intense am of exercise! Before I taught, I had a half of a key lime pie larabar. I REALLY liked this flavor. The lime flavor isn't intense but it definitely gives you the hint of key lime pie. After the classes, I ate the other half.

Josh and I ran to check out the progress on the new house and I then did some Christmas shopping. I got Josh's mom a pretty cute gift (sorry I can't give details because she often drops by to read the blog- Hi Cookie!!). While shopping, I got a yummy Starbucks Skim Misto with pumpkin spice syrup. I also ran to Kohl's and got Josh some new pants but had no luck for me :( I really need new work pants! I am going to try gap tomorrow.

For din din tonight, I made a brussels, chicken and rice bake using a cooking light recipe. This recipe calls for prosciutto, but I decided to used baked chicken instead.
Ingredients
1 (10-ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon stick margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper (instead of salt and pepper I used Cavender's)
Cooking spray
1 cup cooked long-grain rice (I used the Kashi Rice Pilaf)
1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto or ham, cut into thin strips (I used 1 cooked chicken breast)
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375.

Cook up chicken breast and cut into bite sized pieces. Cook up brussels (I microwaved!!). Cook up rice according to package directions.

Melt margarine in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add milk to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes over medium heat or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper (or Cavenders). Set aside.
Coat a 9-inch quiche or round baking dish with cooking spray. Pat rice into bottom of dish; arrange Brussels sprouts, stem sides down, on top of rice. Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with prosciutto(or chicken); pour sauce over top. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over sauce. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

This bake was soooooo good! Totally creamy. I haven't had savory oats yet, but I image it tastes somewhat similar. Have a nice Saturday night!

18 comments:

Danielle said...

Yum! Another recipe on my things to cook and EAT :)

Anonymous said...

that looks amazing! i love anything w/ brussels sprouts in it :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So glad your weekend is going well so far!!

Mmm, brussels sprouts :-)

Esi said...

Sounds like you're having a great weekend! This bake sounds really good and bonus points for healthy!

Esi said...

Sounds like you're having a great weekend! This bake sounds really good and bonus points for healthy!

Trying To Heal said...

you are such a creative one with your recipes!!!

Pearl said...

great photos!

Fitnessista said...

your recipes are so creative and delicious-looking!
hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Wowowow!! As a recent convert to brussel sprouts (as you saw from my embarrassing video post, haha), this recipe looks great!! And I love creamy dinner dishes because they feel so indulgent - but I love how you have the "(HEALTHY!!)" disclaimer :o) That just makes it even better!!

I'm really glad to hear that your weekend is going well! Have a great Sunday, too :o)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mmmmmmmm.......delicious!!!! I never tried baking rice, I've always afraid that it gets too hard or sticky. But apparently it's matter of what you put with, right?
I'll need to do it soon ^_^

glad that your weekend is going well.... shopping is always fun!

Anonymous said...

That looks so great! You're so creative!!

Becca said...

You don't often see brussel sprouts in dishes and I love them! I'll have to try this one out!

Unknown said...

wow, i totally have to try this!! have a great sunday :)

Anonymous said...

What a great looking dinner! Good luck finding work pants - I'm so picky when it comes to those kind of things that it takes SO long to find a good pair!

Anonymous said...

About Wall-e: the middle schoolers all give RAVE reviews!! Even friends my age said it was really good, one even got a little teary-eyed :D

Elizabeth said...

Key Lime Lara Bar? Nu-Uh! I need to find this!

HangryPants said...

OOh it looks creamy and delicious!

Let us know if you get pants. I'm on the hunt for outdoor running pants.

Heather

CECIL said...

Huh, would never thought using b.sprouts this way. I still have my cravings for brussels sprouts, so this will do.