Sunday, November 9, 2008

BSI Entry: Eggplant Meatloaves

Hi everyone. How are you doing? I am feeling quite yucky this am- I have a little cold :(. Despite not feeling so hot, I got up this am determined to bake/cook. I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for Josh's lunches this week and then got started on my BSI recipe!! I have never eaten or cooked with eggplant so I was excited but nervous. I also know that Josh is not an eggplant fan so whatever I made I would have to use for my lunches this week. I started with this beauty:



Eggplant Meatloaves:

Ingredients

1 tsp italian seasoning
1 eggplant
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup oats

Directions:

Wash eggplant then poke with a fork to create holes. Roast in a 450 degree oven for 50 minutes, turning frequently (I got these specifics from Sarah at Suite Apple Pie- thank you Sarah!!). Remove from oven and let it cool. Once cool, pull off skin and place meat in a bowl. Use a fork to mash up the eggplant and then add all other ingredients. Spray a muffin tin and then add a rounded tablespoon of mixture to each well. Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes. Top with sauce and cheese!

I gave these a taste test this am and they are SO good! I <3> doin?

20 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh no!!! Feel better soon, Erica!!!

LOOOOOVE your BSI contribution!!

Tina said...

What a cool idea! Mmmmm... eggplant! :)

Unknown said...

what a great idea! hope you feel better soon-- take an emergen-c! they taste horrible but get rid of colds in a jiffy.

Maggie M. said...

Get better soon :)

That is so freaking inventive!!! What an awesome BSI entry.

Trying To Heal said...

what a great idea!!!! i wish i had leftover eggplant to try that! i'll have to go buy some more!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love that they are individual like that in the muffin tin!! That's awesome!!! Oh and flat out pizzas were my life!! I made them at least 4 times a week!! You reminded me that I should even make one today!!!

HAPPY SUNDAY ERICA!!!

Aggie said...

Wow, these look and sounds sooo good! I've never thought to do it, great idea!!

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! you've done it again!! this is so creative and delicious looking :D :D

Anonymous said...

how yummilicious are these?!!!! great recipe idea :)

hope u feel better!!

Krista said...

What a neat idea!

Unknown said...

ooh, very neat. i bet some mushrooms would go well in that mix! feel better erica!!

Anonymous said...

i love making meatloaves in muffin tins!! that's how i always make mine. these are so cute. i could eat the entire batch of these.

Unknown said...

in an effort to help you feel better, I tagged you for a meme :)

Anonymous said...

You just have natural ability in the kitchen! That's really original. I love it!
I'm SO sorry you don't feel good. :( I hope it doesn't affect your taste buds too much!

Alyssa said...

I have tagged you in my blog! Participate if you may like. :-)

GroundedFitness said...

thats so cool! Ive never heard of doing anything like this with an eggplant

Hope you feel better!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Jenn said...

That's the largest eggplant I've ever seen!!!

Tina said...

Hi! I saw your comment on my blog this morning. I would love for you to do a guest post! A quick healthy dinner sounds awesome! Just send me an email and we can work out the details. Yay! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love this idea! I am going to have to try this.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to sneak in the veggies!

Hope you feel better soon!