Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bean Burgers, clean, relax :)

I hope you had a good Saturday! Today was a great day for me. After Body Step, I came home and got a few things done around the house. I then headed into Charleston with my new and wonderful friend Kristen! Kristen took me to this really cute coffee house in Charleston called Kudu. Kudu has a lot of neat specialty items including a Vegan Protein wrap that is totally delicious. Their website notes that the wrap contains veggie protein, sun-dried tomato, onion, green pepper, and spices. One of the other really cool things about Kudu is that you can bring your dog there! Kristen and I got food/coffee and sat outside in the courtyard and enjoyed the beautiful weather. We then went all up/down King Street browsing some of the amazing shopping. We walked into one shoe store that was having a 20% off everything sale. Unfortunately, said store carries only extremely high end shoes including Manolo Blahniks. In the end, we got some great strolling and conversation in!!

I came home and Josh had already left to go to the USC game with my Uncle and cousin. I decided to cook up some dinner because I was starving. I made this Corn and Two Bean Burger recipe from cooking light but decided to make a few minor mods. This recipe says it makes 4 burgers, but I got 7 large patties out of the recipe! I ate one, put one in the fridge for Josh to try, and froze the rest!:


  • Pam cooking spray (or oil)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup canned whole-kernel yellow corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 large egg


To prepare burgers, spray a large non stick skillet with pam (or heat oil) over medium-high heat.

Combine kidney beans and black beans in a large bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add breadcrumbs, corn, onion, and egg; stir until well blended. Form bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and beginning to brown.

The rest of tonight I spent working on stuff around the house. I cleaned the apartment, did all of our laundry, ironed, gave Frank a bath. I still have to get my work travel stuff straightened out for next week and I am working on a batch of Suite Apple Pie Granola. Whats your Sunday looking like?


Meghann said...

I love resteraunts that allow your to bring your dog. I ate at one today and they treated Abbie like a princess!! The burgers look great! tomorrow I'm spending the day with Gina and Caitlin, it should be fun

Erin of Care to Eat said...

That sounds like such a fun and relaxing day! I'm so glad you relaxed with your friend. Those burgers sound great! I have to make them!

magpie said...

I love days like that - getting stuff done makes me so happy :)

The burgers sound really yummy!

just me said...

those bean burgers look amazing!!!

sounds like a good day!

eatingbender said...

Wow, GREAT burgers!! Seriously yum :o) Ok, so I made my BSI recipe tonight!! I will submit it ASAP on Sunday so that I get in under the deadline!! Yay!

Esi said...

I'm always looking for a good veggie burger. This looks so tasty. I spent the whole day in bed, it was fabulous! :)

wholefoodswholeme said...

window shopping can be just as fun as buying stuff - and you end up with a fuller wallet ;)

great looking burgers!

VeggieGirl said...

Hooray for a great Saturday!!!!

My Sunday = apple-picking!!! :0)

Sammie said...

Thanks for the recipe - they look great. They are now on my to-make list.
Have a great Sunday!

Zesty Cook said...

I am a bog fan of the slow and relaxing days... I dont think we have enough of them... nice work!


Jenn said...

I love it when you can freeze leftovers! Makes for a quick, tasty, homemade meal later!

Danielle said...

Sunday: school work, school work, school work... I'm going to request one of the delicious bean burgers for fuel... ok? ;)

We have Body Attack too! I seriously think it might be the same thing, lol. Do you offer my all-time favorite Body Balance class? It's a combo of Yoga, Tai-Chi, and Pilates.

Lori said...

Yay for places that let us bring our dogs! Burgers look great. I have a black bean burger recipe I'm planning to try this week.

danielle - They offer Body Balance here in Brazil and I love it. My favorite too! said...

what a great and easy recipe - sounds like a perfect & healthy sub for regular burgers!

Apples and Butter said...

Those look great! I still have yet to make a veggie burger at home, but those look like something I could definitely sink my teeth into. I'll definitely take your modifications as well. Thanks for sharing!

CECIL said...

I will have to bookmark this recipe, always looking for good vegetarian burgers, especially for my mom in law.

shopping blog said...

The curve of pandora jewelry the end of the ironing board to Pandora charms act as the shoulder. Now, mist pandora bracelets and charms the shirt with your spray bottle and then buy Pandora you start ironing over the front of the discount pandora bracelets shirt. When you approach the part of Pandora necklace the shirt that has the buttons on the pandora necklace beads edges, you pull the bottom part of the shirt taught and then work against Pandora necklace sale the direction you are pulling at with the iron. Next you will then proceed to pull the shoulder taught by cheap pandora charms once again pulling the end of the shirt so that you can iron the front of the shirt where your pectoral muscles would be.