Friday, August 8, 2008

Burgers and Healthier Rice Crispy Treats!

Hi All!

I am up and getting ready for our trip to my cousins wedding! I am excited to see all of my relatives! Yesterday was my last day of work at my old job. It was def an odd feeling to walk out the door knowing I wasn't coming back! They threw me a nice going away lunch!

After work I taught Body Step and then ran around like a maniac trying to clean up the house and get ready for our trip! For dinner I made some burgers and corn which we ate with pickles. My plate is shown below (I didn't eat the top of the bun). I haven't had red meat in a very long time and didn't miss it at all. I think red meat will start to play a smaller and smaller part in my diet over time.

After dinner I got together some snacks for the car including some healthier rice crispy treats I made based off an Ellie Krieger recipe (she is the best!). The recipe called for dry cherries but I didn't have any on hand so I used almonds. For the crispys, you should use a brown rice based cereal- I decided to go a little chocolaty and used the following:


Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup natural style peanut butter
6 cups crispy brown rice cereal
2/3 cups chopped dried cherries (I used almonds)
Cooking Spray

Directions:
Combine honey and peanut butter in a large pot and heat over medium-low heat until melted, about 2-3 minutes. Add brown rice cereal and cherries and stir to combine. Press into a 9x13 sprayed pan. Let cool then chill 30 minutes.

These are delicious! Next time I may used a little more PB as they are a little crumbly!

10 comments:

Samantha said...

I am right there with you on the red meat, I prefer ground turkey. I like the crispy-treats, I might have to make them for D. Have a great time at the wedding.

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! Thnaks for sharing!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I use that same cereal to make rice krispie treats!!! How fun :0D

Have fun at your cousin's wedding!!

Jenn said...

I'm the same way about red meat. I probably eat it once every few months, and it freaks me out to cook with it. lol. I'll choose the ground turkey or chicken any day!

Becca said...

I love the almond addition!

Anonymous said...

I never even thought to make rice krispie treats with a healthier cereal - great idea! They look delicious!

Have a great time at the wedding :o)

HangryPants said...

Ellie Krieger is the best! My nephew loves rice krispy treats, and I am definitely going to make him these. Thanks and dance like a maniac at the wedding. Burns lots of kcals. :)

Erica said...

Sammie- Yes! I prefer the ground turkey too! Def give the recipe a try, like I said...they're a little crumbly. If you keep them in the fridge they stay together better!

Mark/VG/Becca/Jenn/Hangry- thank you :

Jenn- haha it totally has started to freak me out to cook with it too...bleck!

Sarah said...

You are too awesome. Thank you for the award and kind words on Wednesday :-)

I hope you are having a GREAT time at your cousin's wedding right about now. At the reception perhaps? It's 7:30pm Eastern time.

Esi said...

I love Ellie too. Hope you have a good time at the wedding.