Monday, August 4, 2008

Black Bean Dip (take 2), Broccoli and Cheese Calzones, the BEST key lime pie

Today was a great Monday for me! I started off my day with a workout. I ran at the gym and then practiced Body Step (we're launching six new tracks tomorrow- hooray!). Afterwards I had a quick day at work and a nice anniversary lunch at Chipotle with Joshers. I got a salad topped with pinto and black beans, onions, peppers, corn salsa, and cheese. It was so delicious (sorry for no pic)! After work, I went to Josh's softball game- they won by 1 run! We both came home and made a dinner of broccoli and cheese calzones (recipe to follow). I had a very small piece of calzone because tonight was all about dessert :). Since our baker strongly urged us to not save/freeze our top layer of our wedding cake, I purchased our favorite pie (key lime) from a local baker...she makes the best key lime pie!! For some reason blogger is giving me issues right now so I will post pictures later. Here are a couple recipes in the meanwhile:

Black Bean Dip (I posted this last night after I made it, but it got deleted some how. This is such an easy and delicious recipe!!):
Original Recipe

Ingredients: 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:Combine beans and tomato sauce in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Mash beans with a potato masher or back of a spoon. Add cheese and chili powder; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.

Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen and share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!

Broccoli and Cheese Calzones:
Original Recipe

Ingredients: 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 (10-ounce) package broccoli florets, thawed and drained
Salt and black pepper
1 pound bread or pizza dough, thawed
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and broccoli. Mix well. Season with salt and black pepper.
Roll dough out to a 12-inch circle. Spread cheese filling over 1 side of circle, to within 1-inch of the edge. Lift 1 side of dough and fold over so that it meets the other side, forming a half moon, and pinch the edges together to seal.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Transfer calzone to a large baking sheet sprinkle the top with cheese. Bake 15 minutes, until puffed up golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.


4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Definitely DOES sound like a great Monday - hooray!! Oooh, key lime pie is divine :0)

carla said...

Husband? Adores the Chipotle.

Can you believe I've never been there?!

MizFit

chandra said...

I always wondered how I could make a calzone at home. LOL

Tag, you're it! Check my blog for details!

Erica said...

VG- yes, key lime pie is positively incredible!

Carla- oh my Miz....you need to get you some Chipotle! Sooo delicious!

Chandra- thanks for the tag ;)