Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Barley Risotto

This afternoon was nice but busy! I gave the Frankster a bath, did some laundry/ironing, and taught Body Step with Jill. Tonight for dinner I seemed to make a very tan dinner :) . I didn't realize everything was practically the same color until it was done :). I tried a new recipe for Barley Risotto from this blog (recipe was based on a Rachel Ray recipe). It was good but I felt like it needed something, so I added in some fresh spinach:

Barley Risotto:

Ingredients-
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 1/2c. Vegetable broth
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
  • 1/2c. quick cooking barley
  • 15oz small white beans
  • 1/4c. flat leaf parsley
  • Desired amount of fresh spinach
Directions-

1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes.

2. Stir in the broth and barley and bring to a boil.

3. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.

4. Stir in the white beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in desired amount of fresh spinach. Season with pepper, stir in the parsley and serve.

A picture of Josh's plate:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tan dinner looks FAB.
Why am I thinking he didn't complain.....

MizFit

eatme_delicious said...

Yum I've been wanting to try making risotti with barley!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it! Sometimes I add a little grated parmesean as well - but, since i'm watching my calories usually not.

Spinach looks like a great addition. I'll have to try that next time!

Amanda
Down Home Dieting