Thursday, January 26, 2012

Waffles of Insane Greatness

I love breakfast for dinner…love! And I have a fabulous Belgian waffle maker that my Mom gave Josh and I at my bridal shower (almost 5 years ago- crazy!).

IMG_3353

And Belgian waffles? So good. BUT, I do not like cleaning the waffle maker. THIS recipe changes all that. I made the waffles of insane greatness, based on this recipe. The waffles get nice and crisp (no soggy waffles here) and, as long as you spray the waffle maker well, the batter doesn’t get stuck! I made a few adjustments to the recipe (Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, almond milk instead of regular milk, and extra vanilla).

Waffles of Insane Greatness

IMG_3358

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. add the milk, sour cream, oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
  3. cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest on your counter for 30 minutes.
  4. when the batter has ten minutes left to rest, preheat your waffle iron.
  5. when the batter is ready, spray your waffle iron with non stick spray. divide batter evenly amongst four waffles and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I usually go for Chobani or Oikos Greek yogurt, but Fage was on sale- so Fage it was!

IMG_3350

The batter (pre-rise):

IMG_3351

Ready to cook:

IMG_3354

Ok…so I didn’t spray the waffle maker well the first time through:

IMG_3355

But I nailed it the second time around:

IMG_3356

Waffles are amazing:

IMG_3359

Give these a go!

I’m excited that its Thursday. Do you have any plans for the weekend? Tomorrow is Frank’s birthday- so he will get special treatment all day, including a nice steak! Sunday, we’re doing brunch with my parents and I have CPR training for the gym. Otherwise?? Enjoy!

No comments: