Monday, January 2, 2012

Kaylin’s First Food: Butternut Squash (Video)

Kaylin had a doctors appointment last Friday! Everything went awesome! The doctor noted that she may be ready to start trying some food and recommended we give her a bit about an hour and a half after her “breakfast time” bottle and an hour and a half after her “dinner time” bottle. I had decided a while ago that I didn’t want to start her on the traditional rice cereal, but real, homemade foods. Josh’s Mom had purchased the Beaba baby food maker from Williams Sonoma for me for my baby shower:

IMG_3243

I had wanted this gadget ever since we had started even just THINKING about having a baby! Although you can totally steam and puree vegetables and fruits using other methods, the baby food maker does it all. I decided to try butternut squash as her first food, and purchased a pre-chopped version from Harris Teeter:

IMG_3246

I placed 200 grams in the baby food maker and added the appropriate amount of water.

IMG_3247

IMG_3248

The squash was cooked in 15 minutes. I drained the water and added 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and pureed away. I placed the baby food in the fridge over night.

IMG_3249

IMG_3250

IMG_3251

And then we gave it a go:

 

After this video she really started trying more of the food and seemed to really enjoy it=success!!

IMG_3255

No comments: