Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vegan Sweet Bread & 2 Protein Powder Reviews

Hello! Hope your day is going well! I just got in from a pretty kick butt 5 mile run. First things first, here is the recipe for the vegan version of the sweet bread:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (or half whole wheat half all-purpose)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup earth balance
1 banana or 3 tablespoons Ener-G+4 tablespoons water
1 cup dairy/soy/gluten free semi-sweet chocolate chips or carob

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with Pam.

2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, applesauce, earth balance and egg replacer in large bowl. Beat on medium speed of mixer until well blended(I used a whisk). Stir in chips.

3. Pour into loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour (check it as cooking time varies by oven) or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

4. Let loaf cool completely before cutting (no matter how good it smells ;)).

Ok- today I tried TWO protein powders. I only tried two because I could not even drink one sip of the first one.....

First up, NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein- Vanilla


Stats:
  • 12 g of protein
  • 55 calories (in just the packet), 0.3 g fat
  • Completely vegan. Contains no soy, milk, egg, yeast, corn, wheat, sugars, or preservatives
  • Ingredients: Enzymatically processed rice protein from whole grain brown rice.

Review: I've tried this powder both in yogurt and today in milk. I could bare the chalkiness in yogurt but in milk...I couldn't even take a full sip. Ick...

Next, Jay Robb Whey Protein- Chocolate

Stats:

  • 25 Grams of protein per serving
  • No gluten, No msg, No casein, No artificial colors or flavors!
  • 110 calories, 0 g fat (packet only)
  • Ingredients: All Natural Ingredients Cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered whey protein isolate, natural flavor, cocoa powder (natural process), xanthan gum, lecithin, stevia

Review: Yummy! I mixed it with 1 cup 1% milk and some ice cubes. Like with the egg white protein, the flavor was light but very tasty.




Be back later with my clean eating guidelines! Thank you for the fabulous response on this- btw!!!

20 comments:

HEAB said...

Erica,
That so funny you reviewed that protein powder today. Yeah, definitely not sweet at all! I actually liked the chocolate one in my protein pancakes, but the maple syrup and banana definitely helped with the taste!

Jay Robb - haven't found anything that taste better than his whey. I'm anxious for your Sun Warrior review. My boss has some samples on the way to his office as well. Can't wait to try it for myself as VeggieGirl seems to love it.

That bread looks better and better every time you bake it!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reviews!!!

as for that vegan bread - holy moly that just sounds amazing!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

THE ONLY WORTHY RICE PROTEIN IS THE SUN WARRIOR BRAND!!

Anonymous said...

That bread looks amazing! YUM! Looking forward to hearing about clean eating :)

Esi said...

That vegan bread sounds sooo good!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

that vegan bread looks amazing!!!!!
looking forward to read about the clean guideline! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the bread!! It looks insanely delicious!

Jay Robb and his biceps - I say it every time but honestly, does he have a permit for those guns?

Pearl said...

ahh thanks for the protein recommendations!

The Purple Carrot said...

Yum!! That bread looks so delicious : )

Can't wait to see your clean eating guidelines ; )

Heather said...

the bread sounds yummy! glad you had a great run :)

Anonymous said...

ooo that bread looks REALLY good!!!

ChickPea said...

Ya know, for as many protein powders that I've tried, I hardly ever mix them with just milk....maybe the chalkiness would diminish with frozen fruit?

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe!!

and thank you for reviewing protein powders!!! if you find a vegan one you like, let me know!!

Samantha said...

Looks Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

That bread looks amazing! :)

Trying To Heal said...

that bread looks fantastic! i def need to make it this weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

The bread looks great!!

I like the chocolate Jay Robb whey powder, and I like the vanilla too. I've been putting 1/4 packet of the vanilla into my oat bran the last few days, and it is definitely keeping more full until lunchtime. I don't really even notice it is in there, aside from a slight vanilla bonus hit.

Thanks for your reviews! I think I'm going to be incorporating more of these as my diet keeps shifting in a veggie direction!

Anonymous said...

Since Sammie is avoiding wheat for now I was forced to eat this bread against my will. I'll never forgive you! Just kidding - it was really good. I didn't even know it was vegan until I looked at this post. It was pretty moist, and had a sweet (but not overly so) flavor. The chocolate chips worked well in the bread. In fact, I think all bread should have chocolate chips in it.

Sammie will definitely have to freeze a piece for when she samples some wheat again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the bread!

Charlie (Sammie's husband)

Chef Jeena said...

Yummy sweet bread and vegan too. :-D

Unknown said...

thanks for the reviews! i will be in the market for more protein powder soon...