Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Cleaner Saturday

First full day of “clean eating” was about 80% successful! What were the challenges?

1. I tried to drink my coffee with just milk and no sugar……yah, I just can’t make that change in 1 day. I am going to try to gradually reduce. I will keep you updated on this.

2. Keeping Josh full! We did a lot of house work today and that makes for one hungry Josh. I also realized that his definition of clean is going to have some deviations from mine. He will probably continue to drink crystal lite, eat cheese, have a few more processed items (granola bars), and have a beer every now and again ;).

Overall though, I thought we did REALLY well today. Can we make it a whole month? We shall see! Pictures of the days eats (minus breakfast- see yesterdays post):

We started our day off with coffee+oats-

For lunch, Josh had chicken, veggies and cheese with a side yogurt and strawberries(not pictured). He also had about two bowls of special K (not pictured):
I had a giant bowl of veggies and an apple with PB. Later on I had some applesauce with walnuts and cinnamon. (I need more protein at lunch! )




Dinner- Tilapia (first dipped in a bowl with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 3 tablespoons water and then into whole wheat bread crumbs, baked for 8-12 minutes at 375), Sweet Potato, Green Beans:

Snack: Bread! I made Tammy’s Homemade Wheat Bread again. This time, I used 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar versus 2 tablespoons of each (cutting back on processed sugar). I had about a slice and a half- yum!



Did you guys have a good day? Ours was great but busy! We sealed our garage floor, went food shopping, did some housework (laundry/ironing), did our taxes, and now its finally movie time (Role Models).

I want to give a shout out to a few bloggers whose posts I really enjoyed reading today:
Great info on HFCS on Olga’s Blog- Healthing It
Sammie from Running with a Recipe received my bread!

Talk to you tomorrow ;)

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

So brave to take on clean eating!! I eat so much sugar..I would crash immediately. Good for you!!!

Pearl said...

awww Erica that's a great first day so far! so far, do you feel like it's difficult to have to stay away from one particular item?

HEAB said...

I just cannot do unsweetened coffee. Can't do it. Don't want to.

Anonymous said...

What a great challenge, and what a good start. I don't think I could do without my fat free cool whip for very long, but perhaps I should try!

The bread looks so good! I'm still eating last week's loaf or I'd be making some of that tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

yum, all the eats look fantastic!

Thanks for the shout out ;)

Samantha said...

Wow you had a busy day. I could never get Charlie to "eat clean" - the man is obsessed with chips. Josh is such a champ.
Thanks for the shout out.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

really good job with cleaning diet! I can't do the unsweetened coffee... really admire your will-power! :D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SWEET POTATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D


You're rockin' the challenge, girl, no worries!!

Em said...

erica! You are doing amazing with the clean eating, I dont think that I could do it. Im so impressed with all the yummy things you have eaten while still staying in the guidelines!

Hope your having a great sunday girl.

Krista said...

I think you had a great first day of clean eating!

Anonymous said...

Yay what a great day of eats :) Don't you wish you had a guy's metabolism sometime, I get jealous all the food they can pack away!

Hope you have an equally fabulous Sunday, my dear!!

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm with you, I cannot and will not give up my morning cup of coffee. I have those "coffee" labeled cups from crate & barrel, but I didn't see the coffee storage container. How cool. Is it new?

Sophia Lee said...

wow. I don't think I could survive on this eating clean challenge. I can't live without artificial sweeteners.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first day :D
big bowl of veggies is always good in my book!

Anonymous said...

That was a great first day of clean eating! Was anything in particular more difficult for you today than others? I would like to know your thoughts on clean eating.

Anonymous said...

MmMMmmmm totally loving your eats!

Maria said...

So is boxed cereal allowed? I have to eat cereal:)
Just no sugar??? Good job on everything! Sounds like it went well and you had a productive day!

Aggie said...

I used to have 1 splenda a day in my coffee...after the New Year I completely got rid of splenda in our diets (it really wasn't too hard) but now I am using Agave Nectar and soy creamer in my coffee...and love it!

Great first day!! I love your coffee container!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your clean eating experiences! Great first day.

Some of our similarities are really funny...my dog is "Itsy", husband Josh, I used to teach group ex. Anyways, I'm enjoying your blog!

Chef Jeena said...

Looks like you both had a great day Erica. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yum, I love homemade bread! Good job on your good start to Clean Eating!

Heather said...

yum. those apples with pb and walnuts sound delicious!! i'm totally craving that now!

Bridget said...

Oooo I am going to have to read more about this clean eating!! Sounds like you had a super productive day!! I am jealous!
THat bread looks SO good!!

Esi said...

Good first day! I think it takes a few days to adjust for sure, but I am sure you will do well.

I Run for Fun said...

Your dishes look so good. I would stay clean too, if I had some of your awesome homemade bread and that tilapia!

Unknown said...

that bread looks yummy! i feel like my take on the challenge would be mostly-clean eating :) there are just some things that I don't have any desire to give up! but others i'd like to :)

HangryPants said...

Please! It's probably hard keeping Josh full without trying to get him to eat clean.

The meatloaf in the next post looks yummy!

carla said...

linking you tomorrow...

Delicious Dishings said...

A suggestion for the coffee... I drink mine with Silk French Vanilla Creamer, and I never need to add any sugar. Coffee tastes great, and you don't feel like you're missing out!