Sunday, March 22, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf

Sunday night already? Did you have a good weekend? Mine went well. Today started out with a quick 2.4 mile run and then Body Pump. After, I did tons of errands and housework. Then, finally, some relaxing ;)

Clean eating felt easier today! After my run, I ate an apple and drank some water before heading to pump.

I grabbed a coffee with skim milk and….a lil sugar, to drink during my errands (no picture). When I came home I made up a nice salad with romaine, carrots, tomatoes, black beans, and other leftover veggies (from yesterdays lunch/dinner) for lunch:

I topped my salad with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I ate it with a slice of the whole wheat bread and some applesauce (no pics). For a mid afternoon snack, I went with more apple, strawberries, and peanut butter (no pics).
For dinner tonight, I made up some turkey meatloaf (turkey, onion, whole wheat bread crumbs, organic ketchup (no preservatives no additives, still...processed), garlic, and a little pepper based on a recipe from Kelly O) and steamed chopped brussels (I had about three times the amount of brussels shown here ;).


I also had a few nibbles of homemade granola.
All in all, a pretty clean day! A few people asked me some questions so I figured I'd post the answers here:
Do you feel like it's difficult to have to stay away from one particular item?
I think clean eating was pretty easy this weekend because I was at home (vs. being at work) and able to really prepare my meals/snacks. I think it will be more difficult this week and I will start to miss things like protein/snack bars (not that I normally eat them a TON, but they are nice and easy to grab during work).
What are your thoughts on clean eating (so far)?
So far, I really am enjoying it! It feels so good to put whole/real foods into your body-my tummy is also feeling great and not giving me any problems. In the long run, I think I will adapt a cleaner lifestyle (once this month is over), allowing for foods that are not as "clean" in moderation! I think it is ok to be naughty every once in a while ;)
So is boxed cereal allowed?

I think clean eating will mean different things to different people. The only cereal type foods I am allowing are oats and potentially one other whole wheat/natural cereal (which I haven't had any of yet).
What is your favorite naughty food??

38 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Glad you're able to enjoy eating clean!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh i love brussels!!! :)

glad your clean eating week is going great! i honestly think that cereal should be "allowed" as long as they have a good ingredient list, u know?

hope you have a nice relaxing night!

i have very many naughty foods, too many to count hehe

~M~ said...

Glad it's going well so far!

Baked cheetos with frank's hot sauce. My husband looks at me like I am nuts-o but it's so good! Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Glad it's going well so far!! That salad looks so refreshing :)

My naughty food is definitly PB crackers from Kroger - pretty sure those aren't healthy ;) And a few drinks here and there!

Amelia said...

Ooo brussels sprouts! How long do you steam them? I have only roasted them cause I'm scared of making them all mushy in the steamer.

Cookies and ice cream are my weaknesses!

Pearl said...

i'm SO glad to hear that it's going better today! how is josh doing on it?

I Run for Fun said...

You are doing so well so far.

My naughty snack...definitely chocolate!

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing great! Amazing eats!

Nicci said...

Good job on the clean eating...keep it up girl!

Anna said...

ICE CREAM.

Anna said...

...is my naughty food. Sorry, I got excited and hit publish too soon, haha.

Pearl said...

btw i thought it was so sweet how concerned you were for josh eating enough when he participated in the "clean eating" challenge :)

Holly said...

You are doin' awesome, girl! And there is no shame in slowly weaning yourself off of sugar in the coffee AT all. I think I would go NUTS if I had to give up all my loves at once. ;-)

My favorite naughty food? Awww, just one? lol...I think obv. cookie dough would take the cake. But speaking of cake, I'm a fan of white. With buttercream icing. Mmmm.

Hope you had a great weekend!!

Heather said...

my favorite naughty food is definitely wine and dark chocolate. i really like that water bottle. where'd you get it?

Unknown said...

so true about the business and clean eating... so much harder when you're go-go-go! or rather- easier to grab n go

Esi said...

Glad the clean eating is getting easier :)

priscilla joy said...

Ooh, yummy looking food. Worst food for me to stay away from is candy.

Jen (Running with Food) said...

Your salad looks so fresh + colorful!! Glad you are rockin' it out with your clean eating. Way to go, girl!

Anonymous said...

I love the clean eating recap!

Em said...

way to go on the clean eating. its so inspiring! I think my naughty food is chocolate. But I like dark chocolate best, so its ok right?! haha.

Anonymous said...

Im giggling that you are living what Im posting about tomorrow.

and seem to be liking it?

now you can come visit and stay with me and now whine the whole time like my family does :)

The Purple Carrot said...

Sounds like it's going great! : ) I agree, I'm sure clean eating is different to everyone and that's just fine!

Dinner looks delicious! (you know i love me some Brussels ;)

I hope you have a great Monday, Erica! ; )

Fitnessista said...

hey girl! just now catching up on your blog.. sorry you didn't like the brown rice protein! i don't like the taste of it either, but i add stevia and cinnamon which makes it soooo much better. i just love it because the nutritionals are so good!
thank you so much for posting the recipe for that sweet bread! i definitely need to make some!
so glad your clean eating is going so well. it gets so much easier the more you do it.
my favorite "naughty" food is molten chocolate cake :D
hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I failed this weekend!!!!! spent the entire weekend with friends!!! ugh!

and had way too many glasses of red wine yesterday! :) yay antioxidants!!!

Anonymous said...

hooray for clean eating! glad it is getting easier!

i would have eaten more brussel sprouts too- they are always so darn tasty!

all food is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love brussel sprouts! I am happy to hear that you are enjoying eating clean, maybe I should try it for a few days :)

Sophia Lee said...

great job on the clean eating!
my fav naughty food would be my mini chicken hotdogs! lots of fake stuff going in there, but they're so cute and fun to eat, I can't resist!

Anonymous said...

definitely cookies..well most desserts! Hm i prefer to think of them as my "indulgences"..never naughty ;D I think it's nice to know that you don't have to change your diet TOO much, you ate so clean before anyway!

Maria said...

Glad it is going well for you. We eat healthy most of the time. If we have a treat it is something I bake and not store bought...and we only have treats in moderation. I love baking, I can't give that up, but we do share a lot so we really don't eat a ton of sweets. Thanks for answering my cereal question. I eat cereal at my desk every day, Fiber One, Shredded Wheat, etc,so they are whole grain cereals. Today I brought whole wheat crackers to eat for lunch, with fat free cottage cheese and veggies? Is that allowed? Ok, I will stop asking questions. I just try to eat healthy, I don't know if it is clean or not:)

Diana said...

Sounds like you are doing really well! Glad you are enjoying it. :)

My favorite "naughty" food.... umm... ice cream, chocolate and pizza. Yes, I realize that is three but I can't pick just one!!! Maybe chocolate? Though I don't consider it that "naughty" since it has antioxidants!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it's going well so far. The salad is very pretty and colorful, and the meatloaf looks delish. I heart meatloaf!!

Have a great week!

Michelle said...

Oh, do try green tea! I like Traditional Medicinal brand's Bancha tea the best. Kukicha is toasted green tea twigs and that's good too. About cereal, you know I heard at school that anything that is made via an "extrusion" process is really not your best bet. That's Cheerios, Cornflakes, anything where the grains are forced into little shapes like that. Extrusion makes wonderful grains into highly processed food.

Anonymous said...

That meatloaf looks good. I've got to find a good recipe. Hey, are you eating enough calories? Your daily menu seems light!

Pastry is my naughty food. I indulge about 1x per week (usually via a trip to the Italian bakery in town on Sunday).

Lori said...

Glad to hear it is going so well. Mmm... I haven't had turkey meatloaf in forever. Yours looked great!

Anonymous said...

You're doing such a good job!

The Blonde Duck said...

PIE!

I have a sussy for you on my blog!

jane said...

congrats on keeping up with the clean eating!
my favorite "naughty" food is probably cereal (i get the good kinds but even whole wheat/natural cereal has sugar and is processed to a certain degree) and coconut/soy ice cream. But I hardly consider these treats naughty cause compared to most of the crap in the grocery stores these days, they are still quite healthy. especially in moderation, but i can't promise that i eat cereal or desserts in moderation ;)

Aggie said...

Naughty food - CHIPS hands down. I love me some potato chips!!