Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Turkey & Meatballs, Oikos Review, Clean Eating Announcement

More than half way through the work week! Yayyy! After work today, I gave Frank a bath, did a little cleaning, and then took body pump. Dinner doesn't look too yummy, but it was delicious- turkey meatballs and whole wheat pasta for Josh....

And veggies and turkey meatballs for me (there are more meatballs under those veggies, I promise!):
I also had a banana.
Today, I finally got to try the Oikos! I tried the honey flavor...

The results...you know I love Chobani and this was JUST as good! There was lots of honey in this little container and it added the perfect amount of sweetness to the yogurt. PLUS, it only has 120 calories. The calorie counts between Oikos/Chobani are approximately equal per oz, as are the protein counts. The good thing about Oikos is that it is Organic.
*
Ingredients List for Oikos Honey Flavor:
CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK, ORGANIC HONEY, ORGANIC SUGAR, PECTIN, ORGANIC CAROB BEAN GUM. CONTAINS FIVE LIVE AND ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.
*
Ingredients List for Chobani Honey Flavor:
Cultured Pasteurized nonfat milk, honey. contains five live active cultures including S. Thermaphilus, Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, and L. Casei.
*
Unfortunately, the Oikos containers are approximately $1.69-1.79 a piece at my food store and Chobani is 3/$4 (~$1.34). But again, Oikos is organic while Chobani is not. I think I will probably be buying a mix of Chobani and Oikos in the future. They are both fabulous! Thank you again to the wonderful Kristina from Stonyfield for turning me onto Oikos.
*
Ok, I know this is getting long! I just wanted to make a quickie announcement. In an effort to move towards an even more healthy lifestyle, over the next month (starting Saturday), Josh and I will be eating an even more "clean" diet. Over the next couple days, I will let you know how Josh and I will be defining "clean". I was so inspired by all of your CFW (crap free weeks) and by the amazing challenges that Heather and Mark at Hangry Pants take on, that I decided to ask Josh to join me in this challenge. If any of you are interested in joining us, we'd love to have you! Like I said, more details to come tomorrow!
*
OK! Time to catch up on blog reading and LOST! Hope you have a great night.
*
Edited to add: I will post the new vegan version of my sweet bread tomorrow! Sorry about the delay ;)

36 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

CHECK OUT CLEAN EATING MAGAZINE!!! IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I'd definitely be interested in doing this challenge with you!

Sharon said...

Oh wow, scrumptious scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Veggie Girl 100%. I subscribe to Clean Eating magazine and love it,I bet you would too.

They also have a cookbook The Eat Clean Cookbook and it is AWESOME!

That is a great challenge you are taking on and I can't wait to see how it goes!

Esi said...

Oh yum, love turkey meatballs (as you know). Have a great night!

Krista said...

I've never tried Chobani but I really liked the Oikos!

Can't wait to hear more about your clean eating challenge! :)

Pearl said...

I'd love to hear more about the challenge, as I think that's a great goal to set for oneself!

Heather said...

mmm. i've had the oikos a few times and love the honey. those meatballs look yummy :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm I am really liking your clean eating idea.

I am definitely interested but I will keep reading what your definitions will be...

I feel pretty much the same about chobani vs. oikos- the fact that chobani has the fruit and is cheaper is a big pull but the organic side is nice as well.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

I want to know about the clean challenge!! :D I'll probably join you guys when I go back US. Serious cleaning will be needed :)

Unknown said...

yummy :) i usually go for tj's, unless something else is on sale then I get a bunch to mix it up!

Nutritious is Delicious said...

I have never tried Chobani or Oikos.....sound great though! Also, I like your clean eating idea! :D

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I'm excited to see what ya'll do! Is Frank joining as well?

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Meatballs!

I'm curious to hear more about the clean eating challenge too!

Anonymous said...

(((LOST)))

Diana said...

I definitely need to be eating cleaner than I have been! I've already started scouring for some lighter recipes to make this weekend to counter the bacon and cookies I've eaten this week. I'll be curious to see the details when you post tomorrow.

About to turn on Lost -- can't wait!! :)

P.S. It was a repeat last week so you didn't miss anything!

ChickPea said...

Good luck with your clean eating challenge. I need to get around to a crap free week myself...after school's done.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out! We love our challenges. Good luck! Whenever I see your meals I always think, wow she is such a "clean eater" because you seem to never be eating crapola, so I can't wait to hear and see what changes you make.

Anonymous said...

yay clean eating!!
I cant wait to follow yer adventures!

Trying To Heal said...

i totally want to try the whole clean eating thing...let me know how you decide to define it!

The Purple Carrot said...

Dinner looks yummy : )

I agree with VeggieGirl, I LOVE Clean Eating magazine!

I'm excited to see your bread!! ; )

Hope your Thursday is wonderful!!

Holly said...

I can't wait to hear what you guys have in store! That's awesome that Josh is doing it, too. :-)

I have to try Oikos! I'm totally hooked on Chobani now.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE clean eating!!! clean eating magazine rocks!!!

depending upon your specs - I may partake - with exceptoins for the night before my race & my birthday :) (mom's gonna bake me a choc raspberry vegan cake!!!!)

lauren said...

I love the OIKOS honey and vanilla yogurt flavors. SO GOOD.

That is exciting about the clean eating - i cant wait to follow along! :)

Anonymous said...

Haha I LITERALLY just got done trying my first Oikos! I agree 100% with your review!

Good luck with your challenge! In response to two of your comments on my blog: bread/veggies/fruit diet is SO going to happen just wait ;) AND maybe I can marry someone really rich, move by you and we can start our own Real Housewives!

vanillasugarblog said...

I hope my market sells that yogurt, I prefer that one way over chobani. I mean I love chobani, but organic is organic right?
I think we would ALL love to see pics of Frank getting a bath? I mean how adorable will that be? LOL

Maria said...

I would love to hear more about your clean challenge!

Anonymous said...

I am curious about the clean eating! Looking forward to it :)

Michelle said...

Clean eating, sounds awesome. Looking forward to reading more about it. And how about Lost last night?? Good huh!

Anonymous said...

Holy meatballs! Those look delicious.

Thanks for the Oikos review. I received some coupons, but I can't find it anywhere! Hopefully I will soon.

Sophia Lee said...

I've only ever tried FAge, but I've heard that TJ's greek yogurt is really good too, and the cheapest!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried turkey meatballs but I'm going to make a point to after Lent.
Can't wait to see your clean eating!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear more abuot your challenge, i may have to do it! i did CFW and it made me feel AMAZINGGGGGGGG. so nice that josh is doing it with you, that will make it so much easier :)

HEAB said...

I want to eat clean with you! Count me in. Can't wait for more details.

Turkey meatballs - yum, and why is Greek yogurt so freaking expensive?!?

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE meatballs! Yum!

I Run for Fun said...

Turkey meatballs look and sound great...especially after a good workout!