Sunday, November 6, 2011

Burgers, Beer & Diastasis Rectus Abdominus

How has your weekend been so far? Ours has been very nice! Friday night, we hit up Vino Burgerz with Mandi & Bryan. Vino Burgerz is a new addition to Wine A While and the menu was developed by Joey who used to own Joseph’s downtown.

IMG_0403

IMG_0402

For dinner, I got the Station 41 salad without the feta and with a turkey burger instead of chicken:

IMG_0404

The sundried apricots were totally delicious and I really liked the champagne vinaigrette. I think the salad would be much more amazing with the feta (tear!), but it needs some additional crunch. I asked for croutons and that seemed to do the trick.

Josh did a build your own beef burger with mozzarella and pepper bacon. He said it was totally delicious.

IMG_0405

Overall, the food at Vino Burgerz is good. My salad was a little on the expensive side (for what it was). The restaurant also definitely has some ventilation issues to workout (it was smoky as heck in there from the grill), but we will be going back for a second tasting at some point.

Vino Burgerz on Urbanspoon

On Saturday, I taught Body Pump, baked a batch of cookies, and then headed to Mellow Mushroom for beerfest. I wasn’t drinking (since I’m feeding Kaylin), but enjoyed time with family and friends:

 

IMG_0410

IMG_0407

IMG_0408

IMG_3044

IMG_3046

IMG_3047

IMG_3048

IMG_3049

And now for the last part of the title. Lately, I had been noticing that my abs didn’t seem right. Yes, I had a baby three months ago and I do not expect them to be perfect, but they just didn’t seem right. There was an extremely strange liquidy feeling/soft spot above my belly button and I was starting to feel like holding my abs in was impossible. Josh’s Dad (whose a doctor) examine my tummy and said I have Diastasis Rectus Abdominus. So…what does this mean? Basically, according to Be-Fit Mom:

“About 30% of all pregnant women experience diastasis recti, or abdominal separation, a condition where the two right and left sides of the rectus abdominis-the "six-pack" muscle-spreads apart at the body's midline, the linea alba. Widening and thinning of the mid line tissue occurs in response the force of the uterus pushing against the abdominal wall, in conjunction with pregnancy hormones that soften connective tissue. Separation can occur anytime in the last half of pregnancy but is most problematic after pregnancy when the abdominal wall is weak and does not provide adequate support for the torso and internal organs.”

Good stuff, right? The bad news- there is not a whole lot I can do about it right now. In fact, crunches can make it worse!! So, I will be taking it easy on the ab exercise and trying to rebuild the strength in that area slowly!  If anyone has any advice- I’d love to hear it!

On a lighter note Winking smile, hope you have a nice Sunday! And…if you get a minute…vote for us!

1 comment:

Biz said...

Love the pictures Erica! Sorry about the diagnosis - never heard of it!

Glad you had a family fun weekend though!