Monday, January 26, 2009

Body Step Launch, Cauli/Broc Pasta and Cheese

We made it through Monday again- hooooooray! First off, thank you for all your sweet comments on my to-be kitchen. I seriously have no design sense at all and Josh and I were so nervous picking our options. We're thrilled with how it turned out!

After work today, I had quite a bit to do around the house. I got a chunk of it done and then ran out to our first Body Step launch. We dressed in a checkered pattern as the theme of this Body Step is racing. I'm in the middle, looking wayyyy too pale ;) Is it summer yet? We took this pic after the launch so we're all super sweaty!

I was sooo hungry when I came home and could not wait to try this recipe for Cauli/Broc Macaroni and Cheese from Red Head, Yellow Dog. It was so yummy, you all must try it. Here is her recipe (I slightly adjusted it and she adjusted it from Shape magazine haha):

Ingredients:

1 small head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
1 cup broccoli florets
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped (I left these out because Josh is not a carrots fan
2 cups whole wheat pasta (or shape of your choice)
2 cups nonfat milk
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. WW flour
3/4 cup shredded cheese
Salt + Pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425*. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook cauliflower, broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove and plunge in ice water. Keep water boiling and cook carrots and then macaroni until it is al dente, drain and set aside.

In a medium size pot over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. In a medium heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Mix in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Wisk flour mixture into milk and cook for 10 minutes more. Add 3/4 of the cheese and continue to wisk until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spread macaroni, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli evenly in a 12×10 inch ovenproof dish (she put some tinfoil in the pan for easy cleanup and I should have too!). Pour sauce over both, and sprinkle remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes (I only baked mine for 10 minutes and it seemed good to go!).




It was seriously so yummy!
On another note, I do have two protein powders I am trying this week! I will be posting reviews, so look for those. Question- Are you a chocolate or vanilla (or neither) person?

44 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Body Step is so much fun. I need to get my lazy butt out of bed earlier on Saturdays and start going again.

That pasta looks so good!

I love both chocolate and vanilla. I prefer vanilla in smoothies with berries, but I like chocolate when I have bananas. I use both equally.

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

well when it comes to shakes, i like vanilla -- or cookies and cream -- the best :D

Heather said...

that pasta looks super yum! i hear ya on the pale look. i think casper is darker than me right now :( hope you had fun at the body step launch!

Anonymous said...

Cute pic! Your pasta dish looks great! I'm a vanilla person, although I like chocolate on fruit. Have a wonderful night!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that Mac&Cheese looks so fabulous, especially with the broccoli!

I used to be a chocolate only girl but now I'm kinda sick of it. I'm not a big chocolate fan now. I love vanilla but it has to be a really strong vanilla taste, not the wimpy no-flavor vanilla I grew up with.

Trying To Heal said...

i'm def into chocolate...it totally rocks my socks.

Unknown said...

how cute :) hmm, i like both, depends on the mood!

not too bad, although i hear another storm is on the way...

HEAB said...

Erica, you look so cute in the picture! You are not too pale - I promise. Besides, spring will be here before we know it and then summer. Yay for sunshine rays warming our faces. :)

So excited about your mac & cheese recipe. I grew up on Kraft shells and cheese but refuse to eat it now. I'm always on the lookout for healthy alternatives.

Yes, the Jay Robb tastes really good in both regular and almond milk. Try adding a frozen banana. Heavenly!

Esi said...

Used to be a chocolate person, but now I am a huge fan of vanilla beans. Come to CA, it's gonna get hot again so you can get tan!

Amelia said...

Aww cute tank tops!

I'm a chocolate person 100%!

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture! And oh wow, pasta looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

you're soo cute in your checkers! Yummyy dinner, and I've only had vanilla i think...but I just buy the packets b/c I cant bring myself to buy that huge jar!

I Run for Fun said...

The pasta looks absolutely delicious!

Anonymous said...

you are so cute!!! love the picture! and the shirts! awesome!!!

that mac and cheese does look AMAZING..

as for choc. and vanilla- def. vanilla but I am savory over sweet. give me a cheesy pizza over a brownie or cake slice ANY DAY.

ChickPea said...

yum! That looks so delicious! However, I might be a bit biased due to my tremendous love of broccoli:)

I am def a chocolate person--it's not dessert without it!

The Purple Carrot said...

That's a fun picture : ) and that recipe looks very yummy!

I prefer vanilla myself.

Hope the beginning of your week is going well : )

Anonymous said...

I don't even like mac and cheese but that looks amazing! Love the outfits too!
:)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for the shout out! Definitely perked up my morning. I'm glad you liked it!

Nicole said...

I love the matching checkered tops! So cute!

Erin said...

hey erica! your pasta looks so good..

i read on the side that you are from charleston?!
my family owns an apartment there and has 3 time shares on hilton head island, my brother also went to
CofC so its safe to say that we LOVE charleston!

=)

have a great tuesday!!!!
<3
erin

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

you look gorgeous darlin!

Krista said...

Great pciture of everybody! Love the shirts!

And the pasta looks fab!

Anonymous said...

Love the checked tops! I feel ya on the paleness, too.

In most cases, I'm a vanilla girl.

Anonymous said...

Those tops are so cute! I think the pasta dish looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

chocolate all the wayyyy :)
i love your outfits! so cute girl! adn that pasta looks extra tastyyy

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing that pasta dish. It looks really good. I've been craving mac and cheese and this might just do the trick. Chocolate!!

Aggie said...

Love the pic of you and your girls!! You all look so great and fit!!

Love this pasta dish, I am going to give it a try, love all the veggies!

I love vanilla...

Anonymous said...

Aw you guys look cute and hey, pale is the new tan ;)

Love the recipe! It sounds delicious!!

I'm a vanilla girl!

Maria said...

Cute little outfits. You look great!
What a comforting/tasty dinner too!
I can't wait to hear your reviews. I really need to start drinking some protein. My body needs it:)

lauren said...

cute picture - I am so ready for summer. The recipe looks great!

I am more of a vanilla girl.

Holly said...

Okay you so do not want to see a picture of me post-sweaty workout, hahaha.

That pasta looks amazing!

I'm interested in protein powder...I'm really anxious to see what you think since I've never tried it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah that pasta looks amazing, and mac 'n cheese is totally my weakness!

Love your step outfits... you've gotten me so excited for my class tonight!

Carrie said...

That dish looks wonderful, I am always looking for new pasta dishes to try. I will have to try this one.

Anonymous said...

YUMM!! I like chocolate and vanilla!

Pearl said...

those tops are cute! and you are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that pasta looks so great!
I am definitely a vanilla person, always have been.

Fitnessista said...

i love the pic! SO CUTE! i wish that i could take a body step class
the pasta looks a-mazing
i like chocolate and vanilla.. it depends what i pair it with
hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I love any kind of shake!
You are so pretty and cute!

The Blonde Duck said...

Ya'll look so cute! I'd love to try body step (grumbles about gym...) Vanilla!

Diana said...

Oh that does look good! And it sounds easy enough to do on a weeknight too! Double score! :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mmmmmmmm........ yum yum!!! love the pasta dish!

you look fabulous in that photo! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that picture rocks!! You ladies are fabulous :o) I'm really glad that it went so well!

Rose said...

This is just the recipe I've been looking for!

Rose said...

Shoot - that published before I was ready. I have been wanting to make something with cheese + broccoli in a casserole form without a ton of heavy cream or items like that. This looks perfect!