Friday, July 29, 2011

TJs Opening!!! & Summer Turkey Chili

AH! Our Trader Joe's opened today!! And we were there when the doors opened! I wanted to share some pictures from the opening:

 

IMG_0081

IMG_0084

IMG_0082

Me & Josh’s Mom:

IMG_0083

Yup…the Mayor was definitely there:

IMG_0085

Be still my heart:

IMG_0086

And we’ve got wine, beer and liquor!

IMG_0087

IMG_0088

Checking out:

IMG_0089

The stash:

IMG_0091

Pop Chips, veggie burgers, edammmus, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, Hawaiian coffee, dark chocolate/caramel wedges, bars, pizza dough, almond and sunflower butter, refried black beans, ginger chews, pineapple salsa and crab cakes!

IMG_0093

Moving on, I love chili year round! Its just such a comforting meal! On Tuesday night, we had Josh’s Mom over for dinner and I knew I wanted to make up a batch of summer chili. I had made a similar recipe previously in the crock pot….but couldn’t find the exact recipe. I went off memory and made it on the stove top.

Summer Chili:

Ingredients:

  • Olive Oil (~2 tablespoons)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
  • 1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
  • 12 oz crushed or strained tomatoes
  • 12 oz crushed pineapple, drained
  • 12 oz can kidney beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 12 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 cup corn (if frozen, defrosted)
  • 2/3 cup peas (if frozen, defrosted)

Directions:

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Cook until fragrant (~ 5 minutes). Add ground turkey and cook through. Add remaining ingredients, turn heat to low/medium low and cook/simmer for at least 20 minutes (preferably an hour or two). Serve with your favorite toppings.

IMG_2593

I used Pomi tomatoes in this chili. I’ve heard so many bloggers RAVE about this product that I had to give it a go! Totally delicious!

IMG_2588

Toppers (Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese & jalapenos):

IMG_2590

Sides (bread & butter and melon-straight from our garden!):

IMG_2591

IMG_2589

I only wish I had taken pictures of our completed bowls!

What are you up to this weekend? I’m hoping to fit in a couple easy workouts and good meals. Then…baby time???

No comments: