Thursday, April 21, 2011

M: Just Like Mama Used to Make

The other day I filled my house with food smells that reminded me of the days where my little brother and I would build forts in the living room with chairs and blankets. It reminded me of mud pies in the backyard and Nintendo games (the good ones…Mario Kart, Super Mario, pretty much just Mario games LOL). I was definitely in a happy place.


My mom is an amazing cook (and baker for that matter), but my favorite meals she made were the simple, southern, down home “suppers”. One of those meals always consisted of some type of meatloaf (beef or turkey), squash casserole, greens, and some sort of bread.


Because I’m lazy (and only cooking for two as opposed to her cooking for 6) I just went with the turkey meatloaf and squash casserole, but still, I think I would’ve made my Mama proud =)


IMG_2031


The turkey meatloaf recipe can be found here. The squash casserole recipe? INCREDIBLY simple. I mean, pretty much any casserole can be made wonderful by adding sour cream and cream of chicken soup. I’m fairly certain it must be a southern thing. Anyway, my Mom’s squash casserole has no cheese like most recipes I’ve seen. But it is amazing, the creamy squash mixture paired with the crunchy topping is perfect to me! She knows she must make this every time I come home to visit.


IMG_2029


So, here is my Mama’s super simple squash casserole recipe =)


Squash Casserole


6 cups sliced yellow squash


1 large onion, coarsely chopped


1 can cream of chicken soup


1 cup light sour cream


1/2 cup butter, melted


1 (8 oz.) package herb stuffing


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Cook squash and onion in salted water until onions are translucent and squash is tender.


IMG_2026


Combine soup and sour cream in a large bowl. Add cooked squash and onion mixture and stir well.


IMG_2027


Combine butter and stuffing in a medium bowl and stir so that stuffing gets moist. Spread half of stuffing in bottom of a casserole dish. Spoon vegetable mixture on top. Sprinkle remaining stuffing on top of veggies.


IMG_2028


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

That looks like it's got a super nice crunch to it! Mom meals are the best :)