Monday, April 4, 2011

E: Baked Mini Shrimp Egg Rolls & Easy Fried Rice

First, I just wanted to share a couple quick pictures from the weekend. Dinner with my parents Saturday night was at the Blue Crab Raw Bar in Pawley’s Island.  My parents:

 IMG_1733

Me & Josh:

 IMG_1735

Frank is really (knock on wood) starting to feel better. We’ve been taking him on super mini walks and I’ve been feeding him brown rice and turkey. He thanks you all for your well wishes:

  IMG_1740 

Ok, onto the recipes! I must say, I’m doing really well with my Friday night dinner successes! This one could not be easier. I prepped the majority of the meal ahead of time to make for a stress free night.

Easy Fried Rice:

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag of Success 10 minute brown rice, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
  • Desired quantity soy sauce

Directions:

Add oil and garlic to a wok or frying pan. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add egg & egg white, scramble and cook through. Add cooked rice, peas and corn and cook for ~ 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in desired amount of soy sauce. Generously serves four as a side dish

Click here for the printable version of the recipe.

The result:

   IMG_1722

 IMG_1723

Baked Mini Shrimp Egg Rolls

I had some leftover wontons and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with them. After doing a general search on the web, I found this recipe at Green Lite Bites. I made just a few adjustments:

Ingredients:

  • 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 5-oz container water chestnuts, chopped
  • 3 oz broccoli slaw
  • 20 wonton wrappers
  • water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Boil water and cook shrimp for ~ 3-4 minutes until cooked through (no longer gray). Chop shrimp into bits.

Mix chopped shrimp, water chestnuts and broccoli slaw.

 IMG_1724

Place a small amount (~1 tablespoon) of the mixture in the center of each wonton and wrap up like an egg roll (the Green Lite Bites recipe shows how to do so and hers came out much prettier than mine :)). 

Lay on an aluminum covered cookie sheet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spray tops with a bit more spray. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once.

I served ours with sweet and sour sauce.

Click here for the printable version of the recipe.

  IMG_1728 

 IMG_1730

Onto Monday! Business as usual- teaching body pump, working & a little housework. How about you?

No comments: