Friday, April 22, 2011

E: Light Turkey, Asparagus & Squash Casserole

Happy Friday!! Any big plans? Like I mentioned before, we have lots of family & friends in town. Saturday is my baby shower (I can’t wait!!) and Sunday we’re doing Easter at our house. Should be a lot of fun.

Thank you all for you asparagus and squash recommendations from my last post. Some future meals I will be making include:

  • Spring risotto (as suggested by Natalie)
  • Vegetable lasagna (as suggested by Kelly)
  • Grilled veggie wrap (as suggested by Lindsay)

Salah and Laura Allen both suggested a bake of sorts….so I went with it and created my own dish!

Light Turkey, Asparagus & Squash Casserole

Serves 2

Note: next time, I would make this with a little marinara mixed in vs. the 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. I think that would be fantastic!

Ingredients:

  • 3 medium squash, sliced (1/4-1/2” thick)
  • Bundle of asparagus (~18 stalks, chopped into bite sized pieces)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided, 1/2, 1/2)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning (or similar seasoning, divided, 1, 1/2)

IMG_1903

  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (divided 1/4, 1/4)
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 lb ground turkey
  • 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
  • Cooking Spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to skillet over medium high heat. Add turkey, 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Break apart turkey and cook through.

In a large bowl, mix together squash, asparagus, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, remaining quantities of Mrs. Dash and garlic powder, turkey & parmesan cheese.

IMG_1905 

Spray casserole dish or dishes with non stick spray. Pour in mixture and top with bread crumbs.

I used these fun souped up bowls from Rachael Ray that my MIL got for me!

IMG_1900

IMG_1908

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.

 IMG_1912

 IMG_1913 

I ate mine as is with a fruit salad on the side. I tossed Josh’s on top of brown rice for bulk.

Printable Recipe

And a BIGGGGG thank you to Maria and Josh for the adorable outfit they sent for little Itzy :).  SO cute :)

 IMG_1910

Enjoy your weekend :)

No comments: