Sunday, April 3, 2011

E: Vegan Almond Meal Chocolate Chip Cookies & Pregnancy Update

I hope you’re enjoying the weekend! I definitely am. So far, the weekend has included dinner & a movie in on Friday night. On Saturday, I took Body Step, did a little shopping (paint for the baby room & I finally got an iPhone) and cleaned the house. Saturday night, dinner with my parents.  In there, I also squeezed in some baking and came up with a new recipe.

Vegan (or not) Almond Meal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup all whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • 1 stick earth balance (or butter), softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flax mixed with 3 tablespoons of water (or 1 egg)
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla
  • Chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F

Beat together earth balance/butter and brown sugar. Add in remaining wet ingredients (flax egg (or egg) and vanilla).

In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (almond meal, flours, baking soda and powder).

Combine wet and dry ingredients and add in chocolate chunks or chips.

IMG_1718

Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet. Bake for ~12 minutes. Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet (they will be soffft). Remove carefully and let them cool completely on a cooling rack.

IMG_1719

These cookies are a nice combination of crunchy and chewy.

For printable version of recipe, click here.

IMG_1720

Pregnancy Update: Week 23

 IMG_1732 

Side note: My Dad asked how far along I am on Saturday night. When I responded 5 months, 3 weeks…he looked concerned. I asked if he was calling me fat ;) He said he was just wondering how big my belly was going to get haha. At 5’1”…theres just not a lot of room/places for the baby to go!

This has been a big week so far! She is definitely moving around a lot more and Josh can actually feel her every once in a while. She seems to be very active right before bed. According to the email pregnancy updates I receive each week, she now weighs over a pound! We’re getting things ready on the home front, we ordered a furniture set for the nursery (the crib can be seen here) and picked a theme (beach) for the room. I also had a doctors appointment this week. Everything was measuring right (my weight and size of my tummy) and her heart beat sounded great!! I have my gestational diabetes test coming up and I am not looking forward to it!

I’m thinking about doing a pregnancy update VLOG next week. Please let me know if you have any pregnancy questions! I’m not an expert, but I’ll do my best ;). No question is too silly. Feel free to leave it in the comments or email me at Itzyskitchen at gmail dot com.

What’d you do so far this weekend?

We’re off to brunch with friends and the rest of the day will be spent learning choreography for our body attack/step/pump launches this week and next weekend. I am only teaching a couple of attack/step tracks- but I haven’t taught either class in almost six months, so I’m a little nervous ;).

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

PLEASE do a vlog!!! :)))

Megan D said...

Those cookies look right up my alley! And you are looking so great. Definitely do a vlog!! I don't know anything about pregnancy! Haha also a beach themed room sounds absolutely adorable :)

Simply Life said...

Oh these cookies look amazing! I know that I've already passed on your pregnancy info (waistband/book) to 2 friends who are pregnant so this info is helpful for me to know! I love seeing the updates!

Heather said...

Yay for an iphone!!!!! You gonna be on twitter now???
And you look SO amazing. Good luck today with learning the launch tracks!!

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous!
I'd LOVe a vlog! :D

Averie said...

you look amazing! i cant believe you're 23 weeks already...it's flying by for me (on the sidelines...lol)

and the cookies look wonderfu1!

can't wait to see the vlog!
xoxo

The Purple Carrot said...

Yay for an iPhone ... I haven't become that technologically advanced yet ... someday! ;)

I love the crib! (And those cookies sounds delicious!!)

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I would love if you did a vlog!! Please! I think that would be awesome. And your cookies look delicious!

Hannah said...

Squee! Really and truly a baby bump of awesomeness! So very exciting (as are the cookies, but mostly, baby!!!)

Hannah said...

Squee! Really and truly a baby bump of awesomeness! So very exciting (as are the cookies, but mostly, baby!!!)

Paige said...

What a jam-packed (With fun!)weekend:) I agree with your dad - but you're all belly, which is totally adorable!!
I'd love to see a VLOG from you!
Are you still working part time at your office job? I hadn't heard you mention it in a while and was curious :)
Have a great brunch, girl!!

Lee said...

I would love it if you did a vlog. I don't have any specific questions but I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

I want to make vegan cookies for my coworkers and not tell them that they are vegan!

Julie said...

okay first of all i am SO jealous you got an iphone!!!! are you loving every minute of it? haha i can't WAIT to get one some day in the future i would have like every possible app.

how is the frankster doing?!

YES do a vlog!!! haha i love your sunday pregnancy updates! they just go perfectly with the vibe of sundays. and i bet she moves around at night because it's probably close to the time when andy cohen has his after shows and her and i obviously have excitement in common already ;)

enjoy your sunday girl!! xoxox

Pound said...

looking great!! the gestational diabetes test isn't so bad, it's like drinking orange tang or kool aid! make sure it's really cold when you drink it! good luck!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Those cookies look fantastic. I love the perfect chewy/crispy combo. And you look so cute!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Sounds like a really fun and productive weekend. You look fantastic and so do those cookies!