Monday, December 5, 2011

Matzo Balls & Christmas Fun

How was your weekend? Ours was was really wonderful, but so busy! Friday night, we did a family & friends dinner at Josh’s parents house. His Mom put out a great spread of salad, shrimp & meatballs. Delicious!

Saturday, we had a group fitness member appreciation event at the gym and then I ran lots of errands. When I got back, I got dressed up for a party at our group fitness managers house.  I brought a simple appetizer and some cookies (unpictured):

IMG_3137

IMG_3138

My group fitness manager & I wore the same skirt in different colors, so we had to get a picture or two Winking smile

IMG_3139

IMG_3140

It was a silly and awesome time.

Sunday, we went and got our Christmas tree! It was exciting to take Kay for the first time (even though she won’t remember it one bit Winking smile).

IMG_3141

IMG_3142

The rest of the day was spent on stuff around the house and changing up my choreography for classes this week.

For dinner, I made matzo ball soup! Its Secret Recipe Club time!! As a part of the club, each month you’re assigned another Secret Recipe Club blogger to make a recipe from. If you want to join, click here to sign up.

This month, I was assigned Gluten Free Judee. Judee is (obviously), GF, but she is also a vegetarian! She had a lot of fun recipes (I plan to make her crockpot falafel next), but I ended up going for her matzo balls. Instead of using GF breadcrumbs, I used panko. The result was yummy, but next time I want to add a little something something (spice) to it.

Ingredients:

  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 t salt

Directions:

In a small bowl beat eggs and oil and set aside
In a separate bowl mix bread crumbs and salt.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend well with fork.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes ( this step is important)


Remove batter from refrigerator. Divide batter into just slightly smaller than golf ball size balls- I used my cookie scoop to make the balls (should make about 8-10) .

Put up an 8qt pot of water and bring it to a boil with a little salt if you like. When water comes to a boil, drop in balls one at a time into the boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 40-50 minutes.

I also made a throw together soup of vegetables, ground chicken, broth, tomato sauce & spices.  The steps & results:

IMG_3143

IMG_3145

IMG_3147

IMG_3149

 

Thanks Judee!

No comments: