Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Shrimp & Peanut Butter Soup

I know, right? Sounds odd and kind of gross…but stay with me! My girl, Julie, had posted about and emailed me about this curry and peanut soup. Problem- I don’t like curry and Josh isn’t a HUGE sweet potato fan. I reworked the recipe and loved the result. Please ignore the junky iPhone picture- I was in a hurry!

Ingredients:

  • 2 T low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 small sweet potato, diced
  • 1/2 a regular, white potato, diced
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 lb small shrimp, cleaned and deveined
  • 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 32 oz low sodium veg stock
  • 1 15 oz can low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 T natural peanut butter (I used TJs unsalted PB)
  • 2 t cumin
  • 1/4 t ground red pepper
  • 2/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted

Directions:

1. heat 1/2 c water add soy sauce in large pot
2. add onion and potatoes. cook for ~8-10 min over high heat (until potatoes are soft), stir occasionally
3. add carrot and celery cover and cook 3 min
4. add shrimp and cook until no longer white, about 5 min
5. stir in tomatoes, stock and beans
6. blend peanut butter with 1/3 cup water and cumin & red pepper. add to soup with peas
7. stir to mix well. cover and simmer ten minutes

IMG_0364

This was slightly spicy and totally tasty! Give it a go!

No comments: