Friday, June 13, 2008

Baking Insanity

Yesterday was pure craziness! I taught Body Step and then rushed to the store to pick up some ingredients for the mass amount of baking I did last night! Since my in-laws are coming into town, I wanted to make sure we had enough snacks, etc so I made the following:

Spicy Chex Mix- recipe from the Chex Mix website:

Ingredients:
1/4cup sugar
1tablespoon chili powder
1/4teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/4cup butter or margarine
2cups Corn Chex® cereal
2cups Rice Chex® cereal
2cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1can (11.5 oz) mixed nuts
(instead of 2 cups of three different kinds of cereal, I used 3 cups rice chex, 3 cups Wheat Chex)

Directions:
Heat oven to 300°F. Mix sugar, chili powder and red pepper. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in cereals and nuts until evenly coated. Stir in sugar mixture until evenly coated. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes, until mixture just begins to brown. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

Next, I made the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I posted about here. Half were for part of our father's day gift for Josh's dad, the others for everyone to snack on this weekend.

Somewhere between all that I made buffalo chicken chili. I found this recipe on this awesome blog. It was a little too hot for my lips (and I only used 1/4 cup hot sauce!), but still delicious. I added peas and corn in.

Next I cooked up some of Sarah's delicious granola. Recipe can be found here.

Lastly, I made a "banana cream pie". I was originally inspired by a recipe from Melissa. When I bought the crust (
Keebler Graham I believe), there was a different recipe inside so I went for it:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
2 packages banana pudding mix (I got the sugar free, 4 serving size)
1 tub cool whip lite or fat free cool whip (I used lite)
2 bananas
1 graham crust

Directions
Beat milk and pudding for 1 minute (it will be very thick). Mix in 1/2 the tub of cool whip lite and banana pieces. Place in crust (see pic below). Top with remainder of cool whip and banana for decor (I am going to do this right before we eat it).


Lastly I put together a little basket for Josh's dad for Father's day. The basket includes a few of his favorite things- Starbucks coffee, a jar of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, a
starbucks gift card (for his favorite drink), and a red Izod polo shirt. Phew! I am exhausted! This am I got up to practice Bstep with the ladies. Tomorrow we launch a new round- hopefully I'll have some sweet pics. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a good weekend.

I think we're cashew chickening it up in herre for fathers day!

M.

Anonymous said...

That is definitely an insane amount of baking - in a good way, though! Everything looks awesome - your father's day basket is perfect! I hope you have a great weekend!

Erica said...

Mizfit- owww enjoy!

Jenn- haha I know! I am ready for a nap :) Thank you! I hope you have an awesome weekend

Becca said...

Wow, busy day! I love the baskets you make up as gifts!