Friday, October 24, 2008

Blogger week/rain rain go away!

Hi everyone! I just want to let you know that it has been POURING like I have never seen all day here! I just braved the weather to get my laptop so I could write this post :) Today starts blogger week (hoooooooray). All week, I will only be making recipes from others blogs. Since you are all so great and make such unbelievable looking food, it was hard to select my recipes for this week! I have a ton of recipes in back log, so I think I may start doing a blogger week once a month. My first featured blogger is Apples and Butter. I recently discovered this blog and love love love it! Her photos are beautiful and she has a great variety of recipes on her blog. It was soooo hard to choose a recipe, but I ended up going with something I always wanted to try- BBQ Chicken Calzones. Can I just say- yum! The only thing that could have made this better would have been homemade pizza dough but I am without my mixer (its in storage), so store dough had to do! Any who, on to the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 small red onion
1 T canola oil
1 package store-bought pizza dough
flour for dusting rolling pin

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375*
Slice the onion thinly. Heat the canola oil in a medium pan over medium heat and add the onions. Saute until caramelized and let cool slightly. Divide pizza dough in two and form into flattened round discs. Let rest while you prepare the filling. Combine the chicken, chopped cilantro, cheese and onion in a small bowl. Roll each disc of pizza dough out into a 10" circle (no points for perfection here - anything close will do). Mound half of the filling on one side of each disc and fold remaining half over the filling. Seal the calzones by folding the edges up and pressing down lightly. Press edges down with a fork to ensure a tight seal and use fork to poke a few venting holes in the top of each calzone to release steam. Bake for 24 - 26 minutes until golden brown.

Note: I ended up making 4 mini calzones instead of two large calzones.






Fabulous! You must give it a whirl! On another side note, today was suppose to be part 2 of our Charleston restaurant reviews, but the rain kept us home. We may be doing lunch out tomorrow, so look for a potential review :)

I want to thank the wonderful Maria and Josh over at Two peas and their pod (another favorite blog) who gave me an award-


Haha, such a cute award. I would like to pass this along to Gina at Fitnessista. Gina makes incredible recipes, is a fitness role model, and overall is just awesome!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to see all of the other blogger recipes you recreate. :)

Trying To Heal said...

oh, i'm excited to see the other recipes you try! exciting!

have a great weekend, and try to stay dry!

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful idea, Erica! I love being introduced to new blogs that have such fabulous recipes! Your recreation of the calzones turned out perfectly :o) They look SO DELICIOUS! Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

Also, congratulations on the award! You seriously deserve it, m'dear!

Have a GREAT weekend!!

Anonymous said...

such a creative calzone idea - great talent :D

Meg said...

What a wonderful idea. I love Apples and Butter and this is an amazing recipe!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Pouring here as well :0(

LOVE the "feature blogger" segment!! Too fun!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE AWARD!!

Happy Saturday!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing recipe! I love calzones, and bbq sauce sounds like a great addition :)

Cute awards!

Have a great weekend, hope the weather gets better!!

Unknown said...

oh no i hate rain :( hope the weekend gets better! Great looking recipe, i love all the sites you mentioned :) congrats on the award!!!

HangryPants said...

What a cool idea to make recipes from other blogs!

Congratulations on the award and thanks for introducing me to Apples and Butter's blog!

Anonymous said...

those are some nice lookin calzones. i love barbacue sauce on anything- well, except cake haha but i really haven't tried that before.

Esi said...

The calzones look yummy!! Can't wait to see what else you bring us during blogger week. Stay out of the rain!!

Becca said...

I love your idea of blogger week, how fun!

Bridget said...

Bloggers week sounds so fun!! What a great idea! Those calzones look sooooo delicious. Congrats on the award :)

Unknown said...

my blog hasn't been showing your updates and i'm just now catching up!
THANK YOU so much for the award- i hope you know how much i appreciate it :D
thanks for making my night, girly and i LOVE the idea that you're doing blogger ingredients all week!

Apples and Butter said...

I'm sorry I was so late to the party on this one. I was offline most of the weekend. I am thrilled to be one of your bloggers of the week! I'm glad that you decided to make the BBQ chicken calzone. It's a great recipe and not too difficult to pull together. I love using homemade pizza dough as well, but store-bought seems to get a lot more use in my house!