Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blogger Week Day #6- Pancakes

Looks like blogger is working again!

Helloooo and happy hump day! Did you have a good one? First off- REMINDER BSI recipes (pear) are due to me either via comment or via email (itzyskitchen@gmail.com) by Midnight on Sunday :)

My day at work was sort of bleh, BUT when I got home I had a very fun package from Josh's mom! She sent each of us (including Mr. Frank) some Halloween treats. My favorite parts:

Dried Pineapple for me!!!
Treats for Frank:
I was thrilled! Thank you thank you ;)

Tonight, I took Body Pump and then I came home and made up some awesome pancakes from two of my favorite bloggers. First up, Ms. Sarah from Suite Apple Pie. You all know how much I love me some Suite Apple Pie Granola, so you can just guess how excited I was to try Suite Apple Pie Oatmeal Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce!! Here are the recipes:

Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup skim or soy milk
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk lightly to combine. Make a small well in the center of the bowl and add the egg, canola oil, milk, and yogurt. With a light hand, whisk to break the egg and mix into the wet ingredients. Then fold the wet into the dry, careful to overmix. It should come together in 10-12 'folds' or turns of the bowl.Meanwhile, heat a pancake pan or griddle over medium low heat. Using a 1/4 or 1/3 cup (depending on how big you like your pancakes) ladle pancakes onto the griddle. I used to do four at a time but now I do three so I have more maneuvering room when flipping. Once you see bubbles form on top and the pancakes feels firm, quickly insert a spatula under a pancake. With a quick wrist motion, lift and flip the pancake to the other side. Cook a few minutes more and remove to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter. Top with strawberry sauce (recipe follows).


To keep pancakes warm while you complete the batch, put them on an oven-safe plate in the oven on the warm setting.

Strawberry Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1-2 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 cup water

Directions:

Hull and slice strawberries. You want different sizes so that some cook down and others remain in pieces, to create a chunky sauce. Place in a small saucepan over medium high heat, along with the brown sugar and water. Stir to combine. Once the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until it thickens, about 10-15 minutes. Serve over pancakes, or simmer longer to create a thicker jam-like texture for toast (I simmereed my remaining strawberries for jam and it is awesome!)

Fabulous Sarah!


I also made a half batch of Pumpkin Pancakes from a recipe provided by Jenn of Fit Bottomed Girls! I <3>
Pumpkin Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 C. cake flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1 C. buttermilk (or regular milk if you don' t have it)
1 C. canned pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 T. oil
1 t. vanilla
2 T. dark brown sugar
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (whole wheat flour through nutmeg). In a separate bowl, whisk together the last six ingredients (buttermilk through brown sugar).
2. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Lumps are ok, just make sure all the flour on the bottom of the bowl is mixed in. If batter seems too thick to pour, you can gently stir in a little more buttermilk.
3. Drop pancakes by ladleful onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when the edges start to look a little dry and you can see small bubbles forming on the surface.
Jenn- these are divine! I knew I was going to have wayyyyy too many pancakes, but I couldn't decide between these two recipes! Please give these recipes a whirl!
Only one more day of Blogger week left! Are you loving blogger week? I am! I think I will probably have another one next month sometime! Would you like me to try one of YOUR recipes (or a recipe you like to use...doesn't have to be original!!)- either place a link in the comments or send me an email at itzyskitchen@gmail.com :)

20 comments:

Jenn said...

So glad you tried them and like them!!! :) I made a double batch so you can imagine how many that made. lol!

Holly said...

Mmmm- I am SUCH a pancake girl! I tried a pumpkin pancake recipe once that was just okay....those definitely look/sound much better. :-)

I DO love blogger week! You are so dedicated to cook every day.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Dried pineapple??? Pancakes??? YES, PLEASE!!! :0)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE blogger week. Such a cute and creative idea, I say keep it up!

I will be making my BSI meal either Friday or Saturday so don't count me out. :)

Unknown said...

LOVE pancakes :)

Trying To Heal said...

loving blogger week and all the different kinds of recipes you're choosing!!! yum!

Anonymous said...

i just love this blogger week idea!! all these recipes are fantastic. i've never made pumpkin pancakes, it's obviously about time!

HangryPants said...

I love pancakes! Thanks for testing out all these recipes ... and making me want pancakes!

Josh's mom is a sweetie! Nothing beats a package in the mail.

Esi said...

Pumpkin pancakes, I love it! Totally loving blogger week.

Rose said...

Mummm Pumpkin Pancakes! Right in time for Halloween :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm so many good recipes. That strawberry sauce looks diiiivine.

And I LOVE dried pineapple. Definitely one of my favourite dried fruits by far.

Sarah said...

Awesome!!! Both recipes look terrific.

I am actually thinking of serving some pumpkin pancakes tomorrow night to guests on Halloween. Your blog post confirms it!

Maria said...

How fun you got a Halloween treat!! I love the pancakes! We are hooked on pumpkin lately! I love them with cinnamon syrup. Yours turned out great!! I might have to have them for dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

Those look totally beautiful!
I saw your comment on healthy ashley. ;) I'm glad you could come out of hiding!
And I left a little lentil "recipe" in the comments section back at my blog.

Anonymous said...

Both of those pancake recipes sound and look great! I love blogger week, it's been lots of fun :)

Anonymous said...

YUM - that all looks delish!

Anonymous said...

So many pancakes, I love it!! I especially happen to love all things pumpkin so that second batch looks especially tempting (not that the first one doesn't too!!).

Maggie M. said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE pancakes!!! My dad makes really good buttermilk ones :)

I love to make them on the weekends when I have time to cook a real breakfast in my kitchen (during the week I make it at work). YUM!

Barbara Bakes said...

Ohhhh - pumpkin pancakes would be perfect to breakfast tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Pancakes, pancakes!! Both recipes sound and look absolutely fabulous. I woke up late this morning and haven't had a chance to eat breakfast, so they are making my mouth water! I should not be reading blogs when I'm so hungry :o)

Love the Halloween treats! You and me and dried pineapple are best buds!!

Happy Halloween!