Thursday, February 14, 2013

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Butter Cream Frosting

Happy Valentine’s Day!! I hope you enjoy a sweet treat (or two) today. My plans for the day include teaching Body Step, working, and grabbing something sweet post dinner (frozen yogurt?? candy??).

Have you been having a nice week? Ours has had a few bumps. Monday night, we ended up in the ER with Kaylin. She has been battling a virus (or set of viruses) for weeks. Her fever started spiking, and Tylenol was offering no relief. Unfortunately, nothing the ER could do :(. She is feeling better though!

On the upside, we celebrated Josh’s birthday (again) on Tuesday. I made him a waffle breakfast:

IMG_3150

and pizza dinner (cheese, turkey, and lots of artichokes):

  IMG_3154

We’ve also been celebrating Valentine’s day all week long. Kaylin received awesome cards from all of her grandparents:

 IMG_3158

Last night, I made cupcakes for Kaylin’s daycare. They’re having a Valentine’s day celebration. I used this Martha recipe for the batter:

 IMG_3160

IMG_3161

IMG_3165

IMG_3170

My taste tester gave them a round of applause:

IMG_3172

I cheated on the frosting…I used Betty Crocker:

 IMG_3163         

and added strawberries:

 IMG_3175

I will never win a decorating contest (hello, I have no patience), but they are yummy!

  IMG_3178

How are you celebrating Valentine’s day??

22 comments:

Simply Life said...

oh she is the most adorable taste tester :)

Heather said...

Awww...Kay is the cutest thing ever. I just love her expressions!!!
Happy Valentines Day, Erica! Jay is making me dinner tonight - I love it because I'm always the one who cooks. :)

sarah k @ thepajamachef.com said...

these cupcakes look amazing! sorry the week has been a bit rough :(

Taylor Ryan said...

Too cute, I love the waffles... I have been thinking about getting a waffle maker. But I am a kitchen appliance freak and Dan might not have patience for one more. Hope K feels better!

NewWeighofLife said...

Happy Valentine's Day!! I seriously need a waffle maker in my life. I'm so sorry that Kaylin's been sick - I hope she gets better really soon!! Sick toddlers make me sad. The hubby and I are spending a quiet night in tonight. Can't wait!

Shannon G said...

glad kay is feeling better!! love that she claps for good food :)

Lauren Podolsky said...

I suck at decorating too but I'm sure these cupcakes taste incredible! Glad the little one is feeling better. :) Happy V-Day love!

auntie j said...

awwww I'm so sorry Kay has been feeling under the weather! I bet those cupcakes sprung her back in no time flash! I can't believe how big she is getting! And so much hair - I love it!


Hope you and your beautiful fam have a great Valentines Day! I vote FRO-YO FO-SHO

Averie Cooks said...

I love that you made them from scratch! (and an icing shortcut never hurts!) Hope Kay is on the mend!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

Artichokes on pizza is seriously theee best! They are definitely one of my favorite toppings :).

Biz said...

Poor Baby K - glad she's feeling better! I can do artichokes, but they have to be sliced REALLY thin - Josh must love them!! Having steak at home with the hubs with a bottle of red wine - perfect date night in!

Kerr said...

I am not good at frosting decoration either. Hope K is feeling better!

itzyskitchen said...

Right? Lady after my own heart

itzyskitchen said...

You too!

Renee@Mykitchenadventures said...

awe...poor baby. I hate when there is nothing you can do to make them all better. We don't have any Vday plans...we usually never do. Just another night, as as the one before and the one after....lol My husband wouldn't know romantic if it bit him in the ass! The cupcakes sound so yummy. I've been craving strawberry cake lately!

Brittany Dahn said...

Oh no, poor Kaylin! :( I'm glad she's feeling better. The smile on her face from those cupcakes proves the power of cupcakes haha! I cheat a lot with the frosting too - that canned stuff is so good sometimes that I don't even care. With all of the cupcakes Greg got me this afternoon, I think it's safe to say my cupcake fix is filled for the next week. I've had a ton of different flavors from Cupcake, but I tried the Strawberry for the first time today. Yum.



Happy Valentine's Day! Get yourself some fro yo!!

itzyskitchen said...

Thanks girl! Its so important to me to HOME MAKE as much of Kaylin's food as I can!!

Blond Duck said...

I'm so sorry about Miss Kaylin! I hope she's feeling better-- cupcakes are a perfect cure. I went to art class and surprised Ben with a painting! :)

itzyskitchen said...

What an awesome Valentine's day!!

onannasplate said...

She's such a cutie-- perfect little taste tester. :-)

Stephanie said...

So glad Kay is feeling better!!! And those cookies sound yummyyyy - I've been so into strawberry anything these days! Hope you had a most wonderful Valentines Day :) happy Friday!

Bianca Garcia said...

I love strawberry cupcakes - just seeing the pinking tint and the strawberry pieces makes me wish I had one of these right now!