Friday, February 8, 2013

Omelets, Waffles & Workout Clothes

Its been a crazy, busy kind of week. Lots of stuff going on at work, teaching a bundle of classes, taking care of the peanut, preparing for Josh’s birthday celebration…oh…and I came down with a fever on Sunday. Yikes! All of this led me to loosing my voice on Thursday morning. I some how pushed my voice through teaching step, but I think I may have to take a talking break all day today.

When I have a crazy week, there is nothing like breakfast for dinner (brinner) to comfort me. So, of course, I was thrilled to do a review of Lindsay Landis’ (the blogger behind Love & Olive Oil) Breakfast for Dinner.

IMG_3118

The cover makes me hungry :). According to the publisher:

“We all know how fun it is to have breakfast for dinner. There's something comforting and exciting about breakfast on the dinner table. Lindsay and Taylor capture all of this in Breakfast for Dinner—elevating our favorite breakfast foods into delicious dinner meals. A sampling of recipes that you will find in this cookbook, include:

  • Main dishes, like Italian-Style French Toast and Chicken & Biscuit Waffles
  • Sides and starters, like Parmesan Beignets and Nova Lox Bruschetta
  • Drinks and desserts, like Early Grey Panna Cotta, Bananas Foster Crepe Cake, and Bacon Old-Fashioneds”

Flipping through the book..I bookmarked at least 10 recipes. The first one I made? The broccoli & cauliflower omelet:

IMG_3115

Can I tell you a secret? I had never made an omelet before…I know, right? Lindsay’s simple explanation made it a cinch:

IMG_3116

I roasted my vegetables:

IMG_3111  and some purple potatoes for the side:

IMG_3113  Cooked up my eggs, as per Lindsay’s instructions. Added in the vegetables and fresh, organic mozzarella cheese and…

IMG_3119

(potatoes and crushed pineapple on the side). Not as pretty as Lindsay’s, but it came out in one piece!! Not bad for my first omelet. I see many in the future.

I wanted to share an awesome recipe from the book, Chocolate Brownie Waffles (making these next!):

BFD_waffles

CHOCOLATE BROWNIE WAFFLES WITH
BLACKBERRY SAUCE

makes 4 to 6 waffles ★ active time: 30 minutes ★ total time: 45 minutes

These chocolaty cakelike waffles come together even quicker than cupcakes. Tangy blackberry sauce
and a dollop of whipped cream add the perfect finishing touch.

For Blackberry Sauce

  • 2 cups (10 ounces) fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • Juice from 1 lemon

For Waffles

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly whipped cream, for topping

1. To prepare blackberry sauce, stir together blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; if using fresh blackberries, add 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a simmer, stirring and crushing berries with the back of a wooden spoon. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved and berries begin to break down. Transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Press through a fine mesh sieve to remove seeds. Sauce can be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container; warm in a saucepan over low heat prior to serving.

2. For waffles, in a saucepan or a double boiler over low heat, stir butter and chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, followed by milk. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until just incorporated.

3. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Drop about 1/2 cup batter onto iron for each waffle (more or less depending on the size of your iron), and cook until outside is crispy. Serve warm, drizzled with blackberry sauce and topped with more blackberries and freshly whipped cream, if desired.

On a side note, did you hear that pv.body created their own line called Ellie? I love the look of the clothes and will be reviewing an outfit soon. For more info, check out their website(Save 20% on Ellie!) or check them out on  Twitter: @MeetEllie and Facebook: /MeetEllie.

20 comments:

valsocal said...

This book I have to buy today! I've heard such great things about it. That omelet looks super yummy.

Carly said...

Those chocolate brownie waffles look incredible. Probably not something I need, but incredible nonetheless.

Simply Life said...

I also received this book to review and want to try so many of the recipes! I'll be posting the review soon- this omelet looks great!

Katie said...

This book looks right up my alley. I love breakfast. Bravo on your first omelet!

Christina said...

purple potatoes ftw!! i am coming over when you make those waffles. i'll bring the whipped cream and fruit!!! :) :) happy weekend!

Heather said...

I LOVE breakfast for dinner!! But I don't get to make it very often b/c Colin isn't a fan..........the things we sacrifice for our kids, right? :)

Amanda @ Sistas of Strength said...

You have never made an omelet before?? WOAH!!! That's what I have for either breakfast or lunch almost every day. Love the broccoli, cauliflower combo. Yum!

Krista said...

Breakfast for dinner is awesome for those crazy busy days/weeks. I actually prefer eggs for dinner over breakie. HAHA! Hope you get your voice back and feel 100% for the weekend, Erica!

Jane said...

Looks like a yummy omelet, and that waffle recipe looks truly fantastic, too (dessert for breakfast!). Sounds like a wonderful cookbook! I'll have to get a copy of that one.

Lauren Podolsky said...

Okay, I NEED this book! You know me and my BFD's! I'm so pumped someone loves this concept as much as me. :)

onannasplate said...

Looks like a great omelet to me! Mine never come out that pretty!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh I'm dying to get that book.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

I feel like this book was made just for you! Love the idea of roasting the veggies for the omelet and who wouldn't want brownie waffles - I mean just genius! :)

Paige said...

That book is perfect! And not too shabby at all for your first omelet! I'm impressed :)

auntie julie said...

oh man! i hope you're feeling better! word around town is breakfast for dinner brings back voices...


and OMGOJFDKG this book is like the book of our dreams - hah and yes i just 'we-d' us. but still i think she stole our idea. don't you dare tell her about our restaurant. unless we want to hire her as head chef...


have a great weekend mama! and happy early birthday or birthday or late birthday? to josh!!

Taylor Ryan said...

Yum! I love breakfast for dinner, unfortunately my husband hates it so we never do it! Those waffles look amazing, I think I need a waffle maker!!

ATasteOfMadness said...

Those waffles sound fantastic! Perfect excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!

natalie@thesweetslife said...

I have to get this cookbook!!!

itzyskitchen said...

Her recipes are awesome! We'll DEFINITELY have to ask her to come help us start Brinner up ;). Early birthday! His "real" birthday is Tuesday

Shannon G said...

such a great cookbook concept :) these look delish!!