Friday, October 8, 2010

Maggie’s Lighter Coconut Pancakes

I love brunch….I think its no secret. I love to go out to brunch, but I also enjoy a good brunch at home….or a brunch/breakfast for dinner at home. Last night, I made up a batch of Maggie’s Lighter Coconut Pancakes. I only made a few adjustments to her recipe and the results were rocking!

pancake 001

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup almond or regular milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:

  1. Preheat your griddle (medium heat)
  2. Mix together the yolk, coconut, flour, milk, baking powder & soda. Set aside. This should sit for about 5 minutes.
  3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  4. Add the yolk and flour mixture to the egg whites; mix together gently.
  5. Scoop 1/4 cup-fuls of the batter onto the griddle. When bubbles start to appear and pop, it’s time to flip.
  6. Top the coconut pancakes. Maggie suggested- more coconut flakes, honey, peanut butter, whipped cream, or whatever you desire (I used walnuts and coconut).

pancake 002 pancake 004

Almost weekend time!! What do you have on tap? Tonight, we’re hitting up a new frozen yogurt place with a few friends including Lindsay. Also, as I posted yesterday, I teach group fitness classes and we are launching a new release this weekend for each of the programs I teach (Body Step, Body Pump and Body Attack- I use the DVDs shown yesterday to learn from).  My Mom is coming down for the launch and then we’re headed out to breakfast. Other than that, getting pumpkins with Josh and watching football!

24 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I love coconut and I love pancakes so I think this recipe was made for me!

Lauren said...

Mmmm, coconut pancakes! They sound/look perfect. Have an awesome weekend. I can't wait to hear about the launch. And enjoy your time with your mom. It sounds like you have such a great 2 days ahead of you.

Christina said...

yay! we both made pancakes! :) do you have a launch on saturday?

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

fabulous idea these coconut pancakes! i bet swapping out the almond milk for coconut milk would make it even more fabulously coconutttttty too! we have a few things on tap this weekend, including going out for a friend's bday, but other than that i want to RELAX after this crazy week! ;)

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

You know what would taste awesome on those? Some kind of fruit compote. Like, cooked bananas or something. Yum!

Jenna said...

Oohhhh! Nummy! I have a new appreciation for coconut and need to make these!

We have a bar crawl tonight, apple orchard tomorrow. Fun things this weekend. :)

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Woot Woot! It's finally fro-yo day. I'm already dreaming of the self-serve combinations. I so wish I could make it to launch tomorrow. I'm fed up with Direct TV. Have fun with your mom. :)

Kelly said...

I'm a huge fan of brunch as well. Though I must admit I am SO much better at eating it out than I am at cooking it at home.

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope to do a lot of cooking and baking this weekend. With a little relaxing sprinkled in. Those pancakes look wonderful. You can't go wrong adding coconut! YUM!

Kim @ Kim and Mikey said...

I am not a big fan of coconut, but these pancakes might change my mind.

This weekend is homecoming at my Alma Mater. So tomorrow morning, the hubby, our daughter, and my parents will be heading to Atlanta for the game and a weekend with great friends.

I hope Saturday's release is fantastic.

Deirdre said...

Brunch is the BEST! I'm going to be watching football this weekend too and doing an Octoberfest bar crawl on Sunday.

Heather said...

I actually have to teach tonight (subbing for someone), but tomorrow we have a wedding out of town, and Sunday is more training in the morning and dinner at my parent's house. Busy weekend! But the weather is great so that's OK! :)

Holly said...

Okay, I need to make some pancakes this weekend after seeing yours! Delicious! I love breakfast for dinner, too (or lunch...or...whenever). :-) Have a great time at the launch this weekend! Can't wait to hear about it!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

Yum, those pancakes look awesome! They are good, any time of day.

Hope you and the boys have a great weekend!

Holly said...

awwww so much goodness in your last couple posts! first, congrats on the race! second, i happen to love the plethora of baked goods going on - i successfully now have a craving for chocolate chip cherry cookies.

this weekend? i just found out i don't need to work on saturday, so perhaps some relaxing? throw in some football, cleaning, laundry and other projects?

happy weekend girl!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

They sound great! I've been wanting to make pumpkin pancakes!

Sarah said...

Mmm I adore pancakes. ANY kind.

I hope the new yogurt place is good! I like trying new places but I'm always a little nervous they won't be as good as my favorite.

Just found out MY local favorite (which rotates flavors daily) has pumpkin pie tonight so I'm definitely going by there at about 5pm for some to save for later ;-)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad said...

Yay! Glad you liked them :)

BroccoliHut said...

Yum! These sound delicious! I am all for anything coconut:)

Megan D said...

Ahh I have too many delicious pancake recipes to try! I loove coconut :)

Krista said...

Pancakes look great!

This weekend = only one hockey game, housework, Thanksgiving dinner at Mom's and an exciting post on my blog come Sunday!!

Have a great one, Erica!!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

Those pancakes look great! I made coconut pancakes last weekend but didn't separate the egg white and yolk. Making them that way totally helks with the fluff factor.

Hope you have fun with your mom at the launch!

Katie said...

These look so delicious! Lately I can't seem to get enough coconut and they seem like the ultimate Sunday breakfast!

Julie said...

oh my god you're having the perfect and ultimate weekend! haha pancakes, pumpkins, football, brunch and a launch! i'm so excited for you :) i think you're totally gonna get your bake on too! i'm gonna try and bang out my paper today so tomorrow i can relax and do my fooozeball and baking thang haha :)