Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lighter Artichoke & Brussels Sprouts Gratin

Are we there yet ;)? Hope your Thursday is going well. The “big” blog announcement is still coming tomorrow….in the meanwhile, vegetables anyone? I’m off to teach!

Ingredients:

  • 1- 1/4 lb Brussels sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
  • 2 –15 oz can artichoke hearts drained
  • 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup almond meal (or grind up almonds or walnuts)
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese

 bake 002

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray a baking dish with non stick spray
  2. Bring a large saucepan filled with 1” of water to a boil, add the Brussels sprouts and cook until crisp-tender. Drain off any remaining water
  3. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic and red pepper and artichokes to saucepan and cook 2-3 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, mix in  mozzarella cheese, transfer to the baking dish.
  5. In a small bowl, toss the crumbs, almond meal and parmesan cheese with 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil.  Sprinkle the mixture over the vegetable mix.
  6. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.

   bake 004

Do you like Brussels sprouts? I’m a huge fan!!

19 comments:

Jenna said...

Ohh, delicious! I used to despise brussel sprouts, but now I adore them. Isn't it funny how your palate changes as you get older and wiser?

Veggies, Cake & Cocktails said...

Brussels sprouts are oh so good. However, I might only like them grilled. I had them steamed the other day and didn't really care for them.

Heather said...

Unfortunately, I don't care for brussels.... :)

What is this announcement??? I can't wait!

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie said...

Artichokes and brussels sprouts are two of my favorite veggies! Baking them with cheese and breadcrumbs sounds fantastic - I love your simple, healthy meal ideas!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

yum I can't wait to try this! I love both Brussels sprouts and artichoke to pieces.

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

Yum, Yum, YUM! This looks great! You have me on pins and needles about the announcement.

Oh, and I think you would be a great restaurant owner. Think of the parfaits!

The Purple Carrot said...

Brussels sprouts are always delicious!! : )

I'm excited for your "big" announcement!

Lauren said...

Oh yum!!! This is looks incredible!!! You just combine my two favorite veggies and used the word gratin. I'm in love.

Maria said...

I love sprouts! Can't wait for your news girlie!

Julie said...

i loveeeee b sprouts!! but i hate artichokes hahaha. we do have a huge container in the fridge so this recipe might just happen soon bc the rentals love their artis!

tell the news nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

lee said...

I am eating brussels sprouts right now, actually!

I'm excited to hear your announcement.

homecookedem said...

I love brussels sprouts! Your recipe looks awesome!!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

Love brussels now! (totally hated them growing up though!) I can eat them roasted, steamed - you name it :)

Ready to hear the announcement!!!!! Suspenseeeeeeee!!!

BroccoliHut said...

Ooh! Love the idea of artichokes & brussels sprouts together!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

ok so the buildup is killing me!

if it has to do with the blog, great :)

if it has to do with your real life, even better. maybe an announcement?

you have me guessing!! :)

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Brussel sprouts and artichoke hearts are my favorite veggies. Too good! Can't wait for the big announcement. I'm excited!

Krista said...

Love Brussel sprouts! Artichokes, too... :)

Natalie said...

this looks fabulous! just today I was thinking it was time I pick up some brussels sprouts! :)

lynn said...

mmmm- just when i thought i couldn't love brussels any more!