Sunday, October 17, 2010

M: Oktoberfest!!!

Welcome to my first blog post ever! And, thank you all so much for your warm welcomes! I'm going to get right down to business here...

Erica and I threw an Oktoberfest get together. I just love that word...Oktoberfest. Makes me think of all things good. Fall, beer, meat, cinnamon (is that weird? sorry, my first love is baking, my mind automatically goes to sweet stuff, I can't control it) etc...E gave you the run down of our menu in her previous post, so I will delight you with a few of the cool pics and details.

First, the beer cheese (adapted from Rachel Ray's German Cheddar and Beer Fondue recipe). See what I mean? How can one not want to try cheese made with beer? I followed the recipe almost exactly but cut out the hot sauce (I'm not a spicy food type of person, I know it's a travesty) and only used 1TB of the spicy mustard.

IMG_0197.jpg


And now, the pretzels (the star of the show) from Joy the Baker's soft pretzel recipe (can I tell you how much I love Joy the Baker's blog? She always seems to save me when I need a recipe. I think we may have been separated at birth - Ok, I digress). Erica and I had so much fun making these pieces of doughy goodness together. Lets get some action shots of these bad boys:

IMG_0189.jpgIMG_0193.JPG


These pretzels turned out golden brown and so tasty. They were perfect for dipping in the beer cheese. These two things were made to be served together!

IMG_0196.JPG


Also in attendance from Erica's kitchen was a super crazy good brussels sprout bake, crock pot bratwurst cooked in beer and onions (no really, my house smelled like a brewery all night), and apple strudel. My other additions to the feast included a German potato salad and last but certainly not least the sausage balls, which my ridiculously awesome husband cooked up.

Let's talk a little about these sausage ball things...they are awesome...that's all you need to know. Make these suckers up for a tailgate or an appetizer for a party or just because you feel like it. They make you feel all warm inside. They are a little spicy, a little cheesy, and a little sausag-ey (that's not a word). This is my wonderful mother-in-law's recipe: (sorry no pics, the hubby snuck in the sausage ball cook time while I was trying to pretty myself up upstairs)

Ingredients:

1 lb. hot sausage

2 1/2 c. Bisquick

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Couple of dashes of cayenne pepper (judge by your own personal spice-o-meter!)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl (my hubs prefers to just get his hands in there and mix it the old fashioned way!). Roll into balls, just smaller than the size of a golf ball - you don't want these things too big. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. And that's it! Easy peasy.

And the entire table o' Oktoberfest:

IMG_0198.JPG

Ok, so have some fun cooking up some of this stuff! You definitely don't need an Oktoberfest to do it! Beer cheese? Brats in beer? Potatoes and bacon? Apples stuffed in pastry? Um, yes, sign me up... =)

More of these recipes are still to come! And if there is anything you see on that beautiful table that you just can't take not having the recipe for like ASAP, then let us know! Signing off with a pic of the new Itzy's Kitchen duo!

IMG_0195.JPG

35 comments:

lynn said...

welcome, mandi!!! you did a great job.

Vicky said...

Oktoberfest! This makes me miss my study abroad time in Germany! I am so bummed that I missed the Oktoberfest while I was there!! You guys look like you had a delicious meal!!

Miz said...

LOVE THE MANDI!!!
welcome welcome....

Lauren said...

Welcome Mandi! It's so nice to meet you and any friend of Erica's is definitely a friend of mine. You did great for your first post! I can't wait to read more. Take care hun!

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

Your Oktoberfest sounds awesome!

Pound said...

great post, Mandi!! wish i had been there this wknd! wowzas, what a spread! i can't wait to try the pretzels and the beer cheese!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

All of this food just sounds delish--I love making homemade pretzels too!! By the way, you and Erica make the cutest kitchen team EVER! :-)

We Are Not Martha said...

Aww so much fun! Welcome to Itzy's Kitchen :) Obviously I LOVE duo-run blogs :) :) Those pretzels look fabulous!

Sues

Erica said...

ah! Your first post is awesome! I had so much fun this weekend. I'm still dreaming about those delicious pretzels. We must make them again. Can't wait for VIP!

Elisabeth said...

Mandi - you made sausage balls! I can't believe pound didn't comment on that!

Great job!

hbobier said...

What an awesome first post. Nevermind a dish, you made an entire spread of delish eats!!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

everything sounds so delicious - great job ladies!!!

Mandi said...

Thank you guys so much for all the wonderfully nice comments! =) Vicky, I have always wanted to go Germany for Oktoberfest! I think it would be so much fun! Lauren, thank you! I'm so excited to get to know all of Erica's followers and blogger co-horts =) Elis, I know right? Pound, come on now, you know you love those sausage balls of Martha's! LOL And, CaSaundraLeigh, seriously Erica and I had a freaking BLAST making those pretzels - we were a little nervous with the boiling part but that turned out to be the most fun part of it all! And thanks so much for your compliments =) You are all so sweet!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Yay Mandi! You did awesome girlie! Lovin the sausage balls. I have a pot luck tomorrow for work and was going insane trying to come up woth something to make.

Val said...

Welcome, and what a fantastic post!!! Octoberfest Fun.

Paige (Running Around Normal) said...

Welcome to the blog, Mandi :) Great post! And I agree - Oktoberfest is a fun word;)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing. said...

Oh welcome to the blog Mandi! I used to blog with a friend and it really does make the whole thing a lot of fun :).

Krista said...

What a great Oktoberfest feast!!!

Jenna said...

Welcome Mandi! Can't wait to read more from you!

Katie said...

Welcome Mandi! These look delicious... I'm a huge fan of homemade soft pretzels!

Mandi said...

Linds, thanks sweetie! And, seriously those things are super popular at potlucks and get togethers and such. Always a hit! I'm glad you all had fun reading the post - Erica and I had so much fun whipping up everything. Beth, you are right, it is definitely a blast to do this with someone else. And I am lucky my someone else is Erica! She is so awesome and I was so honored when she asked me to be a part of the blog!

Heather said...

What a fun event!! Wish I lived closer to I could come....... :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Mandi!! You are so cute! All of your creations sound and look yummy! Bring some to the tailgate on Nov. 27th! miss you

Biz said...

Hi Mandi!!

OMG, all my favorite foods, beer, pretzels, mustard - yum!!

Julie said...

thanks mandi!! what a great post :) you guys are going to be an awesome duo and i can't wait to read more! you have to do a post all about you though!

i feel like you guys should have called it "oktoberFEAST"

and i'm slightly upset i wasn't invited. i better be invited to the next time you make those soft pretzels!!!

Aggie said...

FUUUUUUN! I need a partner in my kitchen!! You girls are great, Mandi good stuff girl! I made those sausage balls years ago, and people talked about them forever! Totally forgot about them!

am loving the spread...and that RR casserole dish that I'm assuming is the brussel sprouts au gratin? What a great first post!

Oh and those pretzels! I would be so intimidated to make those, they look awesome!

Mandi said...

Q I miss you too! Hopefully we'll find some tickets for the UVA game! You guys have had those sausage balls, remember? It was an early tailgate - you know, one of our noon games, ugh! Julie, that is a great name - Oktoberfeast, I love it! Can I rename it now? Ok, guess not...=) Aggie, Erica and I were DEFINITELY intimidated - although while I was scared and cussing the whole time Erica was my optimistic cheerleader! Haha, sometimes it just takes two! And yes, the RR casserole is Erica's brussels sprout au gratin - it was amazing!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut said...

You two are too cute on the last picture.

I have never made pretzels before because they look hard and they intimidate me but I think it would be fun to make.

Great job :) Looks like you are at home at Itzy's kitchen already.

The Purple Carrot said...

Looks like you girls had a ton of fun and cooked up some delicious fall foods!

It's nice to "meet" you, Mandi ... I can already tell you're just as sweet as Erica : )

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

that looks so fun!!! oktoberfest is a great word, isnt't it!!! you cooked up some delicious food there! love it!!

fittingbackin said...

Wow - great spread, ladies!

Welcome, Mandi!!!

Unknown said...

those pretzels look awesome, great spread!

Holly said...

Welcome, Mandi! You ladies put on quite a partay! :-) Those pretzels look AND sound delicious.

Monique said...

awesome post!! Love the pretzels :) Oktoberfest is one of my most favorite yearly celebrations. Ok, you got me. I love Christmas like nobody's business haha.