Friday, January 29, 2010

Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders

Hi guys and HAPPY WEEKEND! I got home late last night from my business trip and spent today teaching body pump, working, cleaning the house, running errands, etc. When it was time for dinner, I wanted something filling and quick! I remembered that I had a wonderful sampling of Gardein products the company sent me to try out. According to the company, Gardein products are:

"...a tasty new line of plant-based high protein foods with a meaty texture, is a meat-free alternative to chicken or beef. gardein’s texture is very similar to that of animal protein but it’s 100 percent free of animal or dairy ingredients and is made from a blend of vegetables, grains and pea, wheat and soy proteins."

As you know, I am not normally a big fan of soy products (due to the controversy surrounding their safety) however, Gardein products are made from Non Genetically Engineered Soybeans:


and are endorsed by Tal Ronnen, whose recipes I love! I decided to try the Seven Grain Crispy Tenders tonight.


I baked them in the oven according to the package and served them alongside some steamed Brussels sprouts & carrots and a sliced apple (I also had a yogurt on the side).


Up close and personal:


The tenders smelled AMAZING and they look just like chicken. I nervously took a bite of my first tender and waited for that horrible fake meat after taste....but it never came! They are truly delicious and taste just like your traditional chicken tender!! I can't wait to eat these again on a salad or in a wrap.
To give some strength to my review, I baked up a few for my husband to try. I figured this would be the ULTIMATE meat eater test. Josh's thoughts: "I can tell its not chicken, but it tastes really good! And they're actually really appealing to me because there is nothing worse than biting into a tender and getting a chunk of fat and that will never happen with these. I would eat these any night of the week- where can we buy them?" Wahoooooo!
Thank you Gardein for the free samples! I can't wait to try the other varieties (and will try to make sure I post my reviews on all of the products I received). To find Gardein at a store near you, click here.
What are you up to this weekend?? I have to teach Step tomorrow morning and then have some food shopping planned. Other than that, I am hoping to relax and spend lots of time with Josh and Frank.

37 comments:

homecookedem said...

Those tenders look delicious!! I'll have to keep an eye out for those at the store.

Have a great weekend, Erica!! :)

Dawn Dishes It Out said...

Those actually look delicious!! I have an exciting weekend coming up ... picking up my hubby from the airport & NYC blogger meet up!!

Julie said...

oh i LOVE your plates! slash dishware. i love that the bowl is square :) you have stellar taste man.

i have a bloggie meetup tomorrow! woo hoo :) i think you should drive or fly up and come to it ;) and while you're here teach a body pump class at my gym. k? thanks!

p.s. loveeeeed your guest post today girl!

Stephanie @ cookinfanatic said...

wow they passed the ultimate "guy test" with that approval, even i'm intrigued! we are destined to be snowed in this weekend i'm afraid... looks like playing with my new pasta machine and vino are on the agenda!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) said...

I love those crispy tenders! I made them a while back and covered them in buffalo wing sauce, it was awesome. Have a great weekend, girl! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of those, but from this review, I'm going to have to try them! My plans for this weekend are to stay WARM! When the "feels like" temperature is 0*F, I'll be staying inside, nice and warm. Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Great review :-)

Nicci said...

What a great package of frozen foods. I think I will being looking for these in the grocer.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather said...

Those tenders would trick me, they look like real chicken tenders! Great to hear about a good frozen food option. I try real hard to make homemade meals each night but sometimes time just flies by and it'd be nice to have something easy to throw in the oven.

This weekend I don't really have any plans and I LOVE IT. Jacob and I may go out to breakfast... or we may not... we may take a shopping trip... we may not. Who knows?!

Esi said...

HAPPY WEEKEND! Mine is starting late as I was at work until almost 10. Hope you have a wonderful one.

Jenna said...

Nuggets look great !!

Krista said...

Thanks for the review! I think I've actually seen this product in my parts....

Enjoy your low key weekend, hun!

teresa said...

what a fun product! i really want to try that "chicken!" have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! I saw that brand when I was in NY but never got to try them. Always looking out for meat alternatives that taste good :)

No big plans this weekend- relaxing and finally catching up on blogs!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) said...

Great review.. Ive actually never heard of this brand. I enjoy the term "plant based" yaa!! Thanks for sharing.. they look really good!! :)

Today.. eh, staying in.. its SNOWING.

Enjoy your weekend, hun :)

Unknown said...

sounds like a great product... and now i'm hungry :) have a great weekend! i'll be working...

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) said...

Those look AMAZING - I'm eager to see if I can find them at my grocery - YUM! My weekend is going to be spent relaxing. It's so cold!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I'm impressed that they passed the husband test. Maybe I could get mine to try those if yours liked them!

had a 16 mile run this weekend, tri party, swim and hw tomorrow!

have a great rest of your weekend!!

bhealthier said...

Ooh I would so eat those if they didn't have gluten!!

kilax said...

I really want to try their stuff and read The Conscious Cook!

BroccoliHut said...

Can't wait to hear more about these products!

Anonymous said...

I've seen those in the grocery store before but never tried them. I'll have to pick up a bag or two. I eat chicken, but I actually genuinely like the way fake chicken tastes! Jason never understands why I sometimes buy Morningstar Farms chik'n patties.

Sarah said...

Ooo interesting! I have not seen these in the grocery store but I shall keep my eye open. New discoveries like those are always fun.

I hope you and ahi-loving Josh (our hubbies have that in common for sure!) continue to have a nice weekend.

Molly said...

I'm just like you - even though when I first went veg I had plenty of soy meats, now they realllly gross me out. I've heard great things about those though, and for someone not completely sold on veganism, I'm sure those would be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know what you mean about the fake taste of some soy based meat products - glad this one was a keeper!

Kerstin said...

I love free samples - how fun, they look great! Happy weekend!

Katie said...

I'm glad you liked these! I have them coming, too.

Work work work this weekend... and a long run, which I'm currently procrastinating!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I've saw the Gardein products at one of my local grocery stores, but unfortunately they are SO expensive that I would be better off buying the chicken version. So cool you got to sample them though--and impressive that Josh even liked em' seeming how guys rarely like to veer away from the REAL thing haha!

Pam said...

Nice box of samplings..sure look great!

xoxo

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

great info babe and I loved your guestie on K's!

have a wonderful Sunday honey!

Holly said...

YUM! Thanks for the review! I feel the same way about the "fake meat" products. But these look like they are worth trying. I think a trip to Whole Foods is on my list!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Simply Life said...

Wow so glad to hear you liked them -I would be skeptical too so it's nice to already have a review!

Maria said...

Glad you enjoyed the products. I don't eat meat and don't even like to eat things that are supposed to taste like meat:)
I went to Combat and a new class this weekend-Obsidian. It was awesome. I am so sore today though. I am taking a day off:) Hope you had a good weekend!

I Run for Fun said...

Those tenders look delicious. Thanks for the review.

Paige@ RunningaroundNormal said...

Thanks for the Gardein review! I like trying out different meat substitute products, but try to look for products without too much soy, or that don't contain GMOs. Glad they are Josh-approved, too :) Have a great night!

Anonymous said...

Quick and easy is always a good bet in my book. Glad you guys liked them - I wonder if Matt would eat them.

Hope you had a really relaxing weekend after your business trip!!!

chrystad72 said...

Wow what a busy but great sounding weekend hon! Ive been wanting to try out Gardein too! How awesome. I keep seeing it at WF but I havent picked it up yet. I think I will have to give these a try. Your pics look wonderful!

This weekend I so think im working..ugh..oh well! It happens, right?? and doing some shoppin hopefully. So fun.

Oh thanks for the heads up about the podcast. I havent heard it yet but I will so be on the lookout for it. Id love to try out BodyPump. It sounds amazing. Im lookin to really build some muscle. Im trying to meet with a trainer either onight or tommorrow so I will definently ask about that. It just looks like so much fun too!

I hope you have an awesome day sweetie!!