Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chili Party

Hello! Happy Saturday! The day has been awesome thus far. I got up early and got my apple’s prepped and in the crock pot for Maria’s Crockpot Applesauce.

I then ran out and taught a slammin Body Step class and went food shopping for the week. I started to get things setup for our chili party today and decided we needed a bit of sweets, so I rocked up a half batch of my Big Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies (using Whole Wheat flour only because it was all I had):




I did some light cleaning, got showered up, and settled in to learn some choreography for next weeks Body Step and Body Attack launches (can’t wait!). I then got started on Emeril’s Chili and I made some of Mark Bittman's Whole Wheat Bread (I made it with honey instead of molasses). It was a huge hit!


While I got the food ready, Josh and his friend enjoyed some Irish Setters (half IPA, half Guinness):


And then it was partyyyy time! I served the chili with a bunch of topping options including sour cream, cheese, bell peppers, onion, hot sauce and jalapenos:


Completed applesauce:



Completed chili (note: I only used 4 cups of beef stock vs. the 8 called for in Emeril's recipe. I also added corn, peas, and put in three cans of beans (pinto, black, kidney)):


So what did the vegetarian have you ask? I made myself an acorn squash with salsa, green peppers and onions. I also had a big ole bowl of applesauce (which was INCREDIBLE):


The chili party went well and Penn State won (hoooooooray!). Here is a picture of my Aunt, myself, and my Mama:


Hope you're having a great one.

28 comments:

Nicci said...

Chili party sounds like fun. like how you had toppings on the side for everyone.

Jessica said...

That applesauce looks incredible!!!

Unknown said...

Mmm homemade applesauce sounds devine!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) said...

LOVE LOVE that you used an acorn squash as a bowl.. looks really delish!!
Nothing beats homemade applesauce in the fall.. yummmy. What a fun day :)

Anonymous said...

Great picture of you and your Mama and Aunt! The applesauce looks good - I've never made my own and I really don't know why.

lynn said...

fun fun fun! i love using the crock pot when i'm entertaining.

Anonymous said...

Yummm the applesauce and chili both look great! I am slightly obsessed with acorn squash these days, just bought another round for this week's menu, yum :)

Krista said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Homemade applesauce is the best...

Maria said...

I am so glad you liked the applesauce. It is so easy huh? I am going to make some tomorrow. Glad you had a fun day. I went to the farmer's market and went running. It was so nice here!

healthy ashley said...

Too many good things in one post :) I want to make some crock pot applesauce- yum!

Anne said...

Wow, all your food looks delicious--especially the chili and homemade applesauce! Yum!

Paige@ Running Around Normal said...

That acorn squash looks awwwesome. I just bought one today- maybe I'll try something a little like that. Yay for Penn State winning!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) said...

That applesauce looks YUMMY :-) I've never tried making my own and now it looks like I'm going to have to - everyone says that it's delicious and it looks so fresh!

Jenn (eating bender) said...

You are SUCH a culinary wonder, Erica. Haha, I'm serious! Everything you make always looks awesome. The cookies are mouthwatering and as I'm sure you know, I am a huge fan of bread - so you can imagine how yummy that whole wheat bread looks!

Glad you enjoyed the game, although I will tell you that in two weeks we will be bitter, bitter rivals. I'm going to the NU v. Penn State game and you better believe you're going down, lady!!

;o)

BroccoliHut said...

What a gorgeous pot of chili! Nice and colorful, just the way I like it!

Anonymous said...

oh... that chili looks so good, specially in that very ripped acorn squash! real delish~~~

K from ksgoodeats said...

The spread looks fantastic! You are such a good hostess!!

Your vegetarian dish looks really good - I love the combo you came up with :)

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Looks like so much fun!! I love laid-back get togethers like that :-) I always make everything that is supposed to have beef with soy crumbles--no one even notices and then I can share in the yumminess too!

Anonymous said...

aww I love your stuffed squash :)
cookies look fantastic too!

Trying To Heal said...

oh girl, you make me want chili now!

and that applesauce looks incredible! i can't wait to get home and make my own..with my grandma's secret ingredient ;)

Julie said...

seriously girl you can do. it. all.

that chili looks SO good :) and now I definitely need to get over to the store and pick up a squash because squash and salsa sounds like the PERFECT match!

you, your mom and your aunt look so alike!

teresa said...

i bet your house smelled like heaven between the chili and applesauce! what a fun day!

Yum Yucky said...

Look at the purr-dee gals!

Lele said...

Thank you for posting the Mark Bittman recipe! I'm mad obsessed with his cooking, and have been trying to find an easy 100% whole wheat bread for forever!

RunToTheFinish said...

yeah, i love parties like this! everyone gets a good meal and some good talking and of course a good game

Bridget said...

Such a fun party!! The food looks amazing, esp that chili :) I think I'd like a squash filled with chili haha! I really need to make more bread, its so good. Yours came out awesome.
P.S. I might join gym near my new house that has Body Pump!! I think it has some other one too...Body Combat?

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) said...

I love chili! Great idea to serve it in acorn squash, and to have an assortment of toppings!

Christina said...

i made those cookies this weekend too! mine were gross though -- the butter tasted lemony. very strange.