Friday, October 9, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Stevia & Quick Mac N Cheese

Sorry for not posting yesterday! Between work, teaching Body Step, making dinner, housework, walking Frank, The Office finale, and more work...there was just no time!

Onto today! Happy Cookie Friday!! The combination of some free tester products from NuNaturals,Inc :

and Josh requesting some crispy chocolate chip cookies (so he can eat them in milk) caused me to make some more cookies this afternoon. I used this recipe and this product from NuNaturals in place of regular refined sugar:
For more information on Stevia, please see the NuNaturals website. There was also an interesting blog post on Stevia posted on the HealthyEats blog today. The baking result:

I will report on my main taste testers feedback when he gives them a go! Since I'm teaching Body Attack tonight and we then have plans to go to the movies, I knew dinner would have to pre-prepped. I made Mac N Cheese on the fly. My general recipe went something like this:
  • Make a rue using smart balance and whole wheat flour (or you could use butter and AP flour)
  • Add milk (I used skim). Cook until thickened (5ish minutes)
  • Meanwhile, boil up water, cook pasta, drain
  • Steam up some veggies
  • When rue/milk has thickened, remove from heat, add desired amounts of cheese and mix until well combined and cheese has melted. I also added some hot sauce
  • Mix together pasta, veggies, cheese mixture. Top with a little more cheese and bread crumbs and throw it under the broiler for a few minutes:
What are you up to this weekend? My plan is:

Today: Give Franky a bath, teach Body Attack, see Couple’s Retreat (can’t wait!!)

Saturday: Teach Body Step, food shop, relax/football, coffee with a friend

Sunday: 8 mile planned run and relaxing/football. I think my Aunt and Uncle are also coming over to hang;)

29 comments:

Maria said...

I have never used Stevia. I think I will just stick with real sugar:) Have a fun weekend. Let me know what you think of the movie. Here is our basic agenda-farmer's market, getting my hair chopped, running, football and a party.

Jessica said...

This is the Stevia I used, too. Those cookies look good so I'll be waitin' on the verdict!

janetha said...

ohhh have fun with the doggy bath :) stevia hurts my tum!

Nicci said...

I'm sure the cookies will be delicious! have a great weekend too.

Nicole said...

I just posted about this stevia stuff too! My muffins came out pretty darn good with it. I bet the cookies are awesome :D

Aggie said...

Your mac and cheese looks yummy! Sounds like you have a great weekend planned! We have a big Gator game to watch tomorrow night and relaxing with the kiddos the rest of the weekend! Have a great one!

vanillasugarblog said...

I just saw that at whole foods today! Yeah let me know.
Plans? House hunting has resumed...can I get an amen?

Pam said...

Wow, can I come eat at your house...yummy food! I use stevia for so many things!

Breathe girl and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Yummy mac n' cheese dinner! This weekend is relaxin, hair appt, shopping, cooking, farmers market, house projects, down time :) I can't wait... have a great time at the movies!

Anonymous said...

mmm mac and cheese looks good!

Krista said...

Homemade mac n cheese is the best!

Tomorrow we have a hockey fundraiser and then an out of town game later in the day. Sunday is Thanksgiving dinner at Mom's!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) said...

That M and C looks SO delish and healthy!! Beats a box of Kraft any day!! Looks like you've got a great weekend planned...of course food shopping makes any weekend great :)

Anonymous said...

wooo!!! such a great product!!! stevia for baking goodies! that's awesome! I'd love to try that! :)

Britt said...

I haven't used Stevia for baking yet, great info on it though. Your cookies look delish!

Hopefully I will get a 20 mile run in tomorrow, as well as dinner at a friend's house tomorrow night. Sunday some friends are having a chilifest at their house so... I'll be making chili for that!

Lauren said...

I just got the same Stevia package. I'm really enjoying it so far, how about you? :)

Sounds like a great weekend. I can't wait to hear what you think of Couples Retreat. Looks sooo funny and anything with Vince Vaughn always has me rolling.

Have a good one doll face!

Lizzy said...

i could really use a cookie right now, those look amazing! :)

K from ksgoodeats said...

I've never baked with Stevia but those cookies certainly LOOK amazing!! Can't wait to hear the taste testers opinions :)

I hope the movie was great and that you have a FANTASTIC weekend!! Sounds like you guys will be busy!

Unknown said...

i have yet to try stevia, so i'd love to hear what you think of it :) that mac n cheese looks great!

teresa said...

oooh, let us know how you like couple's retreat. it looks hilarious! i love your mac and cheese!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Sounds like you had a busy day & looks like you have a busy weekend ahead as well--at least you have good looking mac and cheese to fuel ya :-) And those cookies--yum

Whitney @ Lettuce Love said...

I love NuNaturals Stevia. I try to use fruits and honey to sweeten but sometimes Stevia is the way to go. Those cookies look great!

Paige @ RAN said...

Ohh those cookies do look good! I hope he likes them!
Have fun teaching your classes. I love Body Step:)

I had planned on going on an 8 miler today, but it might get pushed to tomorrow.

Heather said...

sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! i'm a pure sugar person myself, but glad that you liked the stevia!! have a great weekend :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Awesome cookies, mac dish, and weekend plans - have a FABULOUS one! :)

Julie said...

oooh those cookies look SO good :) yayyy football weekends are the best! enjoy your coffee date girl

Anonymous said...

those cookies look so delish, Erika!! hope you have a wonderful weekendddddddddd!

RhodeyGirl said...

your weekend plan sounds great- i can't believe you already saw couples retreat! i can't wait to go see it with PB!!!! wasn't our resort amazzzzing?

Holly said...

Dang! That Mac N Cheese looks SO good! Easy Mac doesn't quite compare.

I can't wait to see what your taste-tester thinks of the cookies. :-) I would most definitely buy it if I could use it in baking!

Pam (Highway to Health) said...

Mac and cheese is my weakness! Thanks for posting this!