Tuesday, February 21, 2012

White Whole Wheat Bread

I used to make bread on the regular, but I’ve been slacking lately. When we headed over to Josh’s parents house for dinner last week, I decided to bake up a couple loaves. I tried this recipe and was happy with the result! Its not a super exciting loaf of bread, but I think it’s a great everyday kind of loaf. Instead of using the roll out, roll up method listed in the recipe, I just split the dough in half and tossed it in the bread dishes to bake up-turned out great!

IMG_3428

Ingredients:

5-1/4  white whole wheat flour (more as needed)
2 envelopes Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast (or other rapid rise yeast)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt (original recipe recommends 2 teaspoons)
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter

Directions


Combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in large mixer bowl. Heat water, milk and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F, I heated it up in the microwave and guessed…) and add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in 1 cup flour; beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Use dough hook to kneed until smooth and elastic (or do it by hand!). Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough in half. Place each half in a greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour (I totally missed this step and my bread still turned out great!).

Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.

IMG_3430

IMG_3434

IMG_3433

Making bread is easy (I promise!). I have a few of my other favorite recipes on my favorites page.

Have you homemade bread?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wonderful Mama! Hope you have a fantastic day! Can’t wait to celebrate with you this weekend!!

No comments: