Whoop, whoop for Friday! I have exciting plans this weekend including: a blogger brunch, hanging out with my Dad for his birthday & a special party on Halloween with Ms. Mandi! What about you?
The rest of my week has been really pleasant. Josh and I ended up going out for an impromptu date on Wednesday night to Rio Grande. It was a beautiful 80 degrees out, so we decided to eat outside. I got the vegetarian fajitas without tortillas. I ate them with a green salad, tortilla chips & guacamole. Delicious:
Josh (why yes, his shirt does say “Frank the Tank”) & I:
I love to bring the special people in my life treats when I see them. I have a hair appointment today and always bring my stylist a little something. This time, I used a recipe from the Whole Foods Market website for Oatmeal Coconut Sunflower Seed cookies as my inspiration. I made quite a few adjustments to their oatmeal base (to make it more like my big oatmeal chocolate chip cookies) and I added chocolate chunks. They’re pretty easy to veganize (earth balance, soy or almond milk, and egg substitute (1 tablespoon flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water)).
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut (or sweetened if that is what you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir in coconut and sunflower seeds.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, flours and baking soda & powder, then add to butter mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, then set aside to let cool. Store tightly covered.
Enjoy your weekend!!