Friday, October 29, 2010

E: Oatmeal Coconut Sunflower Seed Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Whoop, whoop for Friday! I have exciting plans this weekend including: a blogger brunch, hanging out with my Dad for his birthday & a special party on Halloween with Ms. Mandi! What about you?

The rest of my week has been really pleasant. Josh and I ended up going out for an impromptu date on Wednesday night to Rio Grande. It was a beautiful 80 degrees out, so we decided to eat outside. I got the vegetarian fajitas without tortillas. I ate  them with a green salad, tortilla chips & guacamole. Delicious:

date 001 

Josh (why yes, his shirt does say “Frank the Tank”) & I:

date 004

I love to bring the special people in my life treats when I see them. I have a hair appointment today and always bring my stylist a little something. This time, I used a recipe from the Whole Foods Market website for Oatmeal Coconut Sunflower Seed cookies as my inspiration. I made quite a few adjustments to their oatmeal base (to make it more like my big oatmeal chocolate chip cookies) and I added chocolate chunks. They’re pretty easy to veganize (earth balance, soy or almond milk, and egg substitute (1 tablespoon flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water)). 

 cocosun 001

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut (or sweetened if that is what you have on hand)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 375°F.
  2. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.
  3. Stir in coconut and sunflower seeds.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flours and baking soda & powder, then add to butter mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips
  6. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  7. Bake until lightly browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, then set aside to let cool. Store tightly covered.

 cocosun 004

cocosun 002 

Enjoy your weekend!!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love treating my loved ones with baking goodies too! Those cookies look amazing!
have a wonderful weekend! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

Love that there are sunflower seeds in these. They look so good!

Heather said...

Cute pic!! You two are adorable. :)

I love to bake goodies for the people in my life, too. I have to actually bake this weekend for a Halloween pumpkin carving party C is going to tomorrow!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said...

Oh my goodness-- these look so good! I love the combo of chocolate chunks and sunflower seeds!

Although, I guess I love the combo of chocolate chunks with anything :-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said...

I was just reading your "About" section, and I just have to tell you-- I went to CofC, and now I teach at Penn State! We have a lot of reverse things in common :-)

I miss Charleston so much! I can't wait to keep reading!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Sounds like a fun weekend for you--can't wait to see the pics of you & Mandi's party! :-)
The cookies look good too--I'm sure you're stylist will SO appreciate them!

Bridget said...

I wish I was your hair dresser!! You're so thoughtful :) But those cookies sound so delicious, I love all the flavors in them!

Have an awesome weekend Erica!

Holly said...

haha I love Josh's shirt! LOVE that movie. :-)

Oh my gosh, you are the sweetest person ever! That is so nice of you to bring your stylist treats. I agree, I love baking goodies for other people. I need to do it more often!!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

You bring treats to your hair appointments? How nice is that?! Have a fun weekend!

Katie said...

HA, I think Ari and Josh would get along based solely on their T-shirts!

Those cookies look delish! And so sweet of you to bring goodies to the salon... I'm getting mine cut tomorrow, so I might do that!

Christina said...

love the chunky oatmeal cookies! i've never had sunflower seeds in a cookies - that sounds so good. does it give them a sweet and salty taste? MMMM! ok this weather has been awesome, but tonight it's supposed to be 44! what the heck!?

hbobier said...

I'm so jealous that you were sitting outside, eating Mexican food, in a short sleeved shirt!

I officially had to scrape the frost off my car this morning for the first time of the season. UGH.

Sarah said...

You are so smart to order your fajitas without tortillas, I've never thought to do that. I'd rather have a few chips too, than the tortillas.

Love the shirt Josh! Have a fun weekend.

Dawn Dishes It Out said...

Yummy! Those cookies sound delicious. Thinking maybe I'll bake up a batch with my girls this weekend.

Jenna said...

TGIF! Thank goodness, huh? Enjoy your weekend! We've got some parties to attend as Salt & Pepper. :)

Diana said...

THAT is a cookie. Maybe I should I'm studying for the wrong certification if a beauty license would get me cookies. ;)

CPR certification tomorrow! Full speed ahead.

fittingbackin said...

Yay!! Sounds like you have a fun weekend coming up - happy Friday! Frank the tank, LOL.

I have a blogger meet up/dinner tonight and then we're having people over, tomorrow I have a Halloween get together and Sunday I have a blogger meet up/walk before the 311 Halloween show at The Fox - woop!!

RhodeyGirl said...

Love the cookies!!

Where'd you get the Frank the Tank shirt?

tam said...

You should definitely publish a cookie recipe book, I'd buy it! x x

Corey @ the runner's cookie said...

That is so sweet that you bring your stylist cookies!! They look delcious as usual. Cute picture of you & Josh :) Have a great weekend!

Natalie said...

80 degrees? I'm jealous! It's 60s here and I'm cold already!

Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love that shirt! : )

Chef Bee said...

I love baking for my family too. It's a great way to get those college kids to come home. Great recipe, love using the seeds.

Plan B

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

YUM! the idea of sunflower seeds in there is PERFECT!

LOL frank the tank! gotta love it :)

happy weekend, Erica!! xoxoxo

Julie said...

i seriously LOVE how your cookies are always so chock filled with chocolate chips!! will you come visit me and bring me some pleeeease?

hahahaha josh's tshirt is hilarious. i wish somewhere it said "and erica" on it hahahaha

i can't believe you got to sit outside in a tshirt and eat dinner and here i am freezing my bajeezies off in my house!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

LMAO @ "(why yes, his shirt does say “Frank the Tank”)" hilarious. I always forget to buy sunflower seeds and i ALWAYS see them in your yummy recipes! Mental note.

Hope you have a great weekend, love!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

impromptu date--that's awesome!!!! that's the stuff of childless life...ENJOY, savor, remember these times :) I want an impromptu date now too LOL

bringing goodies to your stylist..can i become your new stylist?

b/c your cookies look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut said...

The only thing I bring to my stylist are pictures of the hairstyle I want, lol!

You are so sweet. I saw coconut and couldn't not wait to read watcha got baking in the oven?

Date nights are so sweet, even better when it's impromptu right?

My body pump instructor went old school yesterday and used old tracks, OMG I am super sore today. I can feel every muscle in my body. It was a great workout.

Look out for an email from me, I got some questions for ya!

BroccoliHut said...

Oh my goodness! These cookies have SO many good ingredients in them! Can't wait to try it:)

Unknown said...

those cookies sound amazing! how's josh's foot/ankle healing??

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

u r the baking queennnnnnnnn! love the sunflower seed addition, how fun is that?! hope you're having a fabulous weekend girlie!

Krista said...

That's so nice that you bring your stylist treats! I bet she loved those cookies. Have a great weekend!