Tuesday, October 19, 2010

M: A Little More German Love...and a sidenote

Can I confess something? I have definitely found a new hobby in this whole blogging thing. But is it bad that while I'm typing about foodie love I am also watching Home Alone from my DVR for about the 176th time? I hope not because seriously love that movie. Plus, I'm already getting super stoked for Christmastime. Ok, I am getting SO ahead of myself here.

So back on topic, not to overload you with the whole German food thing, but I really must share this German potato salad recipe. I mean, I must...I would be doing you all a great disservice if I didn't. I have heard way too many people say that they don't eat traditional potato salads due to the whole mayonnaise factor. Luckily, this lovely dish contains none.

I first had this German potato salad at my mother-in-law's. She adapted it from the old school Better Homes cookbook, which, by the way, my own mom owns and I now own a hand-me-down copy as well. Cookbooks never go out of style! So this salad turns out slightly tangy, a little sweet, and a PERFECT amount of saltiness with the bacon. Ok, let's do this...


IMG_0183.JPG

Cook your bacon until crisp. And reserve the drippings. This is one of my pup's oogling the bacon goodness in the cast iron skillet. Which, of course you do not have to use a cast iron skillet - I just like to use mine whenever I can! Just use whatever pan you have that will fit the entire dish because this is where it all ends up!


IMG_0185.JPG

Cook onion and celery in drippings until tender. Blend in flour, sugar, salt, and pepper. Then add the water and vinegar. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.

IMG_0186.JPG

Add bacon and cooked sliced potatoes and lightly toss. Heat through, about 10 minutes. When I served it, I chopped up some green onion and sprinkled on top. Made for a more colorful presentation =)

German Potato Salad Recipe:


6 slices of bacon

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar (I ended up using a little more - about 1 1/2 TB)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

dash of pepper

1 cup water

1/2 cup vinegar

6 cups skinned, sliced cooked potatoes (about 4 large baking potatoes)


Directions:

Per my mother-in-law's instruction, and I attest to this as well, the easiest way to cook these potatoes is to boil whole in a large pot. Once cooked through and drained, the skin easily peels off. Then, you can easily slice!

Cook bacon till crisp; drain and crumble, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute onion and celery in reserved drippings until tender. Blend in flour, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add water and vinegar; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add bacon and potatoes, tossing lightly. Heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Hope everyone's week is going well! Counting down to the weekend, like me? Have you ever made a German potato salad? Or do you prefer the traditional style? I definitely enjoy both!

!!AS FOR MY SIDENOTE...I volunteer for a retriever rescue here in Charleston - Daisy's Place - dedicated to saving retrievers and retriever mixes 6 years and older. This weekend we are going to be at Daniel Island's Park Day! There will be entertainment, food and beverages, music, demonstrations, contests, a petting zoo, face painting, and jump castles for the kids =) Come on out if you're in the Charleston area and just have some fun on a beautiful Charleston day and support some local organizations and rescues =) It is from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm!

31 comments:

Kerr said...

I love Home Alone too! This potato salad looks yummy.

susan said...

Home Alone is my favorite christmas movie! I have to watch it when its on tv!

I'm not a big potato salad person,which is weird because I love potatoes. Huh!

Krista said...

I'm not a huge potato person, but German potato is an exception to that. I think it's the bacon.... :)

Faith said...

I'm super excited for Christmas too...and Home Alone is one of my favorites, lol! Love the potato salad recipe!

fittingbackin said...

That looks SO good! OMG - what's not to like about Home Alone? I quote it far too often, and McCauley Culkin just came up yesterday when we were returning our rent-a-car - kid working there looked JUST like him! hehe

Jenna said...

Ohh, I love Home Alone! I watch it every winter. :)

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

Love holiday movies! I can't believe we're so close to holiday season too - I think it's okay to get a headstart on holiday flicks already, no big deal ;) The potato salad sounds great, I've never made German potato salad before!

Unknown said...

mmm, bacon :) i think it's required for potatoes!

The Blonde Duck said...

My FIL would love this!

Aggie said...

I don't love potatoes, but I do love potato salads! This sounds delicious!!

I might have to find some holiday movies on Netflix...Home for the Holidays has always been one of my faves :)

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

haha homealone is ALWAYS on tv on the weekends and yes I always seem to watch it and love it!

that potato dish looks like nothing I have ever tried! YUM

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Yummy! I love potato salad, even the mayo kind. This kind looks really good too.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

I've never really like potato salad but that's because they're usually heavy on mayo. I like the sound of this one!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

After living in Germany for 2 1/2 years, I approve that potato salad! ;)

That is so great that you volunteer there!

lee said...

Retrievers are the best. I have one, myself.

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

Oh, Mandi, you're my little bloggy soul sister. I freaking LOVE Christmas! Although I force myself to wait to watch the movies until Thanksgiving. It's a big concession. It's like Lent Part 2 for me. I have issues.

Love the recipe, thanks so much for blogging!

BroccoliHut said...

What an awesome volunteer opportunity!

Pound said...

Home Alone AND A Christmas Story are my favs... oh and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

i've actually never made a potato salad but this one already gets three stars in my book if one of the ingredients is bacon!

Mandi said...

Thanks for the Home Alone love! I also love Christmas Story too Pound =) Stephanie, I have serious issues once it hits fall - I have a VERY hard time waiting for Christmas! LOL It takes everything I have to wait until after Thanksgiving to put up the dang tree! Nicole, thanks for the approval!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I LOVE that the dog is oogling the bacon so hilarious! I would do the same.

This potato salad looks right up my alley, yum!

Erica said...

This is a GREAT recipe. Josh, who doesn't like mayo at all, was totally impressed. I want to stop by on Saturday. And who doesn't like home alone? I get excited every time its on tv (home alone 1 or 2)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

well Im a gluten free vegan so this one probably wont be made in my casa but i love that you and erica are teaming up...love that girl!!! :)

MizFit said...

ok Ive seen every movie I thought but have managed to miss(?) the entire home alone series.

must.netflix.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I love potatoes in basically any way, and this potato salad sounds like it would be no exception. And I love the fact that it's made without mayo!

hbobier said...

I love that you volunteer for a dog rescue!! My puppy came from a shelter, so I know how important it is to adopt.

And don't feel bad about watching things on repeat. I've seen every episode of House a minimum of 43 times. And counting. :)

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Mandi! I have a MAJOR obsession with goldens. I would already have one if it weren't for crazy ol' Molly. I'm going to try really hard to come out to DI. Yay for doggies! Yours is so cute by the way!

Maria said...

I have the same obsession but with Home Alone 2..ha! Love it:)

Julie said...

i agree! cookbooks never go out of style :) neither does german potato salad haha that's also another good football party recipe!

Mandi said...

Aw thanks Linds! I love my goldie SO much...he is such a good dog, and I think so grateful to have a good home - he is so lovey! =) Of course my crazy black lab is not pictured - he is too crazy I can't get a still shot of him most days! LOL

kelluvsdogs said...

Mandi you are such an all around awesome person! Awesome at work, food blog, friend, and of course with Daisy's Place!!!! Maybe this blog will help me with my cooking skills or lack there of! I can't wait for Daniel Island this Saturday!!! We are going to have a few new dogs this weekend. Yay for the pups!

Slamdunk said...

I could sure go for some of that potato salad...