Wednesday! Halfway through the work/school week. This week has been flying by (in a good way) for me. Yesterday, I walked the bridge in Charleston with my friend Jill. I wanted to share just a couple pictures from the walk.
I’ve seen intriguing recipes for almond butter/peanut butter chili on both HEAB and the Broccoli Hut. I was very curious and wanted to make some of my own. I made a vegetarian/vegan version and then added shredded chicken to Josh’s dish. I relied heavily on Caroline’s recipe.
Vegan (or not) Peanut Butter Chili
- ~1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup Spicy V8 Juice (can use tomato sauce or salsa here as well), amount depends on desired thickness (disclaimer: I received this product for free to taste test)
- 1 cup canned beans (your choice, I used pinto)
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh)
- 1 cup chopped frozen yellow squash, defrosted (or fresh)
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 T natural peanut butter
1. Over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil until tender.
2. Add tomato juice (or salsa), beans, corn, squash, and spices. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for ~10-60 minutes (in my opinion, longer is better- brings out the flavor-but whatever you have time for).
3. Add peanut butter, place a lid on the saucepan, and allow peanut flavor to infuse throughout the chili (5 minutes).
4. Remove lid, and stir thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!
And with chicken:
The peanut butter added a really interesting flavor to the chili. And the V8 added some nice kick. Next time, I want to try adding some peas or other green for color.
Plans for Halloween? Mandi & I are having a special party!
Have you heard about Krista’s Thanks & Giving Food Drive? I am participating and you should too!