Saturday, May 24, 2008

Strawberry Cupcakes, Granola

Its been a nice Saturday so far! I taught this morning and then went food shopping. Afterwards I came home and had some relax time with Josh and Frank.

Afterwards I tried Kath/Sarah's recipe for Granola- it is super delicious and I am so excited to have a big container of it for the week!! The recipe can be found here.
Next, I used a Giada recipe to make AMAZING strawberry cupcakes. I am bringing them to a bbq we're going to tonight. They look and taste amazing!


1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix (recommended: Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
1 1/3 cups water
6 tablespoons egg beaters
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (6-ounce) containers fresh raspberries, cut in half or 1 (16-ounce) container fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for dusting
Line 18 muffin cups with muffin papers. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, water, egg whites, melted butter, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a large bowl for 2 minutes, or until the batter is well blended. Using about 1/3 cup of batter for each cupcake, spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake the cupcakes until they are very pale golden on top, about 15 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely on a cooling rack.

Using a fork, coarsely mash 1 1/2 containers of raspberries in a medium bowl. Beat the cream and 1/3 cup of powdered sugar in a large bowl until firm peaks form. Fold the mashed raspberries into the whipped cream.

Remove the muffin papers from the cupcakes and cut the tops off of each cupcake. Spoon the raspberry whipped cream atop the cupcake bottoms. Place the cupcake tops on the cupcakes. Dust with more powdered sugar and serve with the remaining berries.

10 comments:

Becca said...

Aaw your dog is so cute!

Cupcakes look good too :)

Anonymous said...

Traveling so I'll need to print recipe when home but had to say I LOVE your dog's mug.

;)


MizFit

Erica said...

Thank you :) He is a wonderful dog!

I split one of the cupcakes with Josh at the bbq last night and they are delicious and light! Giada has the best recipes (I wish they were all fat free ;)).

MizFit- I've past your website onto all of my friends! I haven't tried PB2 yet and am actively searching for it! You have the best tips!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes look so yummy!

I've got a question for ya (sorry if you've answered it before!) - how exactly did you go about becoming a group fitness instructor? It's definitely something I'm interested in doing!

Erica said...

Hey Jenn! You should def giving instructing a try! Here is how I became an instructor:

I have been taking group fitness classes since I was young. My parents went to a HUGE gym in California when we were younger and they had kid group fitness classes. Ever since then, I've been hooked. When I moved to MD to live with my now husband, I started at a new gym and they were looking for instructors. The head of group fitness asked me if I'd be interested and so I took the leap! I love, love, love it! if you decide you want to teach, talk to the head group fitness instructor at your gym and see where they normally go for their trainings. A lot of the programs now are pre choreographed, and you will have to take a weekend full of classes to learn how to instruct the class. Other classes you will make up on your own. I started with a pre-choreographed class (Turbo Kick). Since that time, I have started teaching a class I mostly put together myself (hip hop) and another pre-choreographed class (Body Step). To instruct, you usually need to be CPR certified (some gyms also require you to be first aid certified), you may also need to get a primary group fitness instructor certification. You can read about group fitness certifications at the following sites:

http://www.acefitness.org/
http://www.afpafitness.com/
http://www.afaa.com/

You can read more about turbo kick and body step (and other great Les Mills programs) at:

http://turbokick.com/
http://www.lesmills.com/

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes look so good. I know what you mean about wishing Giada's recipes were all fat free. She is so tiny but yet takes a bit of everything she cooks on the show.

Anonymous said...

your dog is SOOOOOOOO adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Erica!! I will definitely check out those web sites - it sounds great! :o)

Erica said...

Britt- I know! How does she stay so tiny?

Esi said...

OOh, I have been wanting to try these cupcakes forever and with strawberries just like you did!