Friday, May 30, 2008

Gifts

Phew- I'm so glad its time for bed :). After work today I taught turbo and then ran what seemed like an endless number of errands! I made the strawberry shortcake type muffins I posted about last Saturday to bring to my Grandma's house tomorrow! My Grandma has a HUGE sweet tooth! I then made up some of Sarah's granola for part of my father's day gift! I added craisins into the mix once it was finished baking. I then put both my father's day gift for my dad and my gift for my cousin Lindsey's bridal shower together.


For my dad- I bought him an awesome long sleeved Columbia fishing shirt (my dad's a big into fly fishing). I then added a jar of almonds and the granola. All together:

For my cousin Lindsey- I bought her some of her baking stuff off her registry (cookie sheets, cake pans, muffin tins, etc). I then added two homemade bread and brownie mix jars and a bag of chocolate chips. The basket doesn't look as cute as I was hoping, but I still am pretty happy with the gift.
The mixes were put together as follows:

California Corn Bread Mix
This is a sweet, cake-like corn bread that is delicious with honey butter.

2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder

In a large glass or ceramic bowl, stir all the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.

Attach this to the Jar

California Corn Bread
Serves 4 to 6

1 package California Corn Bread Mix
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the corn bread mix in a large mixing bowl and add the eggs, milk and butter. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Poor into a greased 8-inch baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Blonde Brownies

Delicious blonde brownies to give as a gift, with brown sugar, chocolate chips, and pecans or walnuts.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 to 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1 cup (about 8 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

PREPARATION:

Make the mix:
In a 1-quart canning jar, layer the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt (a wide-mouth canning funnel makes this a little easier). Shake jar just slightly to level layer. Add half ot the brown sugar, then half of the nuts and half of the chocolate chips.
Repeat layers with remaining brown sugar, chocolate chips, and nuts.

Directions for gift:

Blonde Brownies

  • Blonde Brownie Mix
  • 1 stick butter or margarine (4 ounces), room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour a 7x 11 or 8 inch square baking pan.

Melt 1 stick butter, let cool slightly. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 egg, melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add contents of jar and mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

I got both ideas from websites- I will try to search for them and post another day.

Sarah- I love the meme! I promise to do it when I get back on Sunday or Monday!

Everyone have a fabulous weekend!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your gifts are ADORABLE!!!!!!! i am sure both your dad & cousin will love the hardwork you put into making their gifts special :)

i want to try that brownie recipe now :)

Sarah said...

What nice gifts, your dad and cousin will be so pleased. I love foodie presents.

Have a fun weekend!!

Erica said...

Thank you both so much! Hope you guys had a great weekend!!