Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pancakes/Lettuce wraps/weekend

Happy Sunday. I am sad the weekend is coming to a close but I had a good one. Friday I took Jill's Body Step class (which was full of variety and was awesome) and then we went out to eat for my friend Melanie's Birthday (happy birthday mel!!). Saturday morning I went food shopping, taught Turbo Kick, and then went to coffee with Nik and Jill (which is always a good time!!). The remainder of Saturday was spent doing errands and relaxing! Josh had taped all my favorite tv shows for me while I was on travel (which was awesome) so we watched them all!! Sunday morning a friend of Josh's little brothers stopped by because he was in the area. I made a breakfast of banana chocolate chip pancakes (pam-cakes pam-cakes) for all of us using this recipe (sorry no pic!!):

Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or you can substitute applesauce)
  1. In large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder; mix well.
  2. In medium bowl, combine milk, egg beaters and oil; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix)
  3. Preheat electric skillet to 375 or skillet on stovetop to Medium, Medium High. Spray pans with Pam.
  4. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter into hot skillet. Place on top banana sliced thin and chocolate chips (if desired). Turn when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn only once.
I love this recipe! So delicious!

Tonight I practiced for the new body step and did some more errands. For dinner tonight, I tried something new- Turkey and Lettuce wraps. I enjoyed them but Josh was not a fan of the sauce. I think I will try making these again, but I will use a basic stirfry sauce instead. I based the recipe on this link.

Turkey/Lettuce wraps

5-minute brown rice
2 teaspoons oil
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped

1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated

1 15-ounce can bean sprouts

Prepare brown rice as directed on box, set aside

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add t
urkey and ginger; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, sprouts, water chestnuts, broth, hoisin sauce, and spices; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

To serve, spoon portions of the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves and roll into wraps!

No comments: