Friday, March 21, 2008

Black Bean Soup and Cheese Quesadillas


Happy Friday! I tried to take a picture of the dinner I made last night, but our camera's battery was dead- boooo! Instead, I have added a picture of my husband with our dog Frank (as a baby). In any case, dinner was a wonderful, comfort food type of meal! I have tried a few black bean soup recipes and been very unhappy with them. Last night I tried to make up my own recipe (using ideas from various recipes) and I loved the outcome. The soup is pretty health, cheese quesadillas aren't the best for you, but if eaten in moderation are a wonderful addition to the soup.

Itzy's Black Bean Soup

1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped (or use canned garlic)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoons coriander
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup frozen corn

Heat EVOO over medium low heat. Add garlic, onion, and red pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes (until fragrant). Add 1 drained can of black beans and the liquid from the second can. Place the beans from the second can in a bowl and mash with a fork then add to pot(so you will end up with the juice from one of the cans and the beans from both). Add remainder of ingredients and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Also- consider adding chopped carrots or cooked ground turkey into this recipe).

Cheese Quesadillas

Small flour tortillas
2% milk-mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Chili powder
Pam cooking spray

Spray 1 side of all of the flour tortillas. Place the tortilla sprayed side down in an electric skillet (or skillet on the cook top). Top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with chili powder. Place a second tortilla, sprayed side up on top. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side (or until lightly browned). Remove from heat and cut into 4 pieces. Enjoy- dip into black bean soup!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE black bean soup! Do you put any other liquid in the soup besides the liquid from the one can of beans and the tomatoes? Looks great!

Erica said...

Hey! Nope- thats it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding! I love that you teach BodyStep and BodyPump - I actually teach GroupStep and GroupPower (I'm your nemesis!). I completely understand your lingo when I'm lurking....! Thanks again!