Monday, September 12, 2011

Minestrone Stew

Hope you all had a great weekend! Today, I am posting my fifth recipe from the Secret Recipe Club. As a part of the club, each month you’re assigned another Secret Recipe Club blogger to make a recipe from. If you want to join, click here to sign up.

This month, I was assigned Sweet  Petititti. Susie has quite the collection of sugar cookie recipes (which all look amazingly delicious) AND she works at Williams Sonoma (jealousssssss). Although I was super tempted by her sweet recipes, I saw this recipe for Minestrone and knew I had to give it a go! I made quite a few tweaks (based on what I had on hand/like), and loved the result! My Minestrone was a little more stew like:

Minestrone Stew

  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb baby spinach
  • 1/2 russet potato
  • 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 t Italian Seasoning
  • 1/4 t ground red pepper
  • 1- 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/4 box shaped pasta
  • Ground parmesan to garnish


Heat oil in large pot.  Add garlic, onions, carrots, celery and cook until fragrant (~5 minutes). Note: I used one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, my Pampered Chef chopper, to get the vegetables nice and tiny:

IMG_2763

IMG_2766

 

Add the ground turkey and cook through.  Add the spinach and potato stir and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and spices. Cook until the spinach begins to wilt. Add beans, broth and parmesan.  Bring to a low boil and add the pasta. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the potato and pasta are cooked through (took ~20 minutes for me).

Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan.

I used this pasta instead of tortellini:

IMG_2767

and served the soup up in the adorable bowls from Pier 1 that my Aunt got me for my birthday:

IMG_2769

The result:

IMG_2771

Totally delicious! Thanks Susie!!

No comments: