Halfway there! Hope your week is going well. I figured I would share two of the meals we enjoyed this week:
When Josh was leaving for work on Monday morning, I asked him what he wanted for dinner- chili or turkey meatloaf. His answer was meatloaf. As the day progressed….I decided meatloaf didn’t sound appealing. I thought back to this post on How Sweet It Is and knew what I was making! I baked up tortilla chips using leftover tortillas from our weekend tacos. I then layered the chips with cooked ground turkey (buffalo sauce added while cooking), sharp cheddar cheese, additional buffalo sauce, and corn. Next time, I will definitely throw black beans & jalapenos in the mix:
Tuesday night called for chili. I have used Broccoli Hut’s PB chili recipe before and adjusted it to make enough for two. Tonight, I adjusted it again and used almond butter instead of peanut butter. This makes three larger servings:
- ~1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned black beans
- 2 cups defrosted mixed veggies (I used corn, peas, green beans, lima beans & carrots)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
1. Over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil until tender.
2. Add tomato sauce, beans, mixed veggies, vegetable broth and spices. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for ~10-60 minutes (in my opinion, longer is better- brings out the flavor-but whatever you have time for).
3. Add almond butter, place a lid on the saucepan, and allow peanut flavor to infuse throughout the chili (5 minutes).
4. Remove lid, and stir thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!
What have you been eating this week? Anything fun to share?