Saturday, February 5, 2011

M: Bacon, Leek, and Tomato Spaghetti and Campbell’s Soup

So, it’s time for Rachael Ray Top 10 of 2010 recipes #4 – bacon, leek, and tomato spaghetti!

This recipe was quite the opposite from the last one that I was pretty disappointed with – it was fantastic! I have never cooked with leeks before and I was so pleasantly surprised with the mild onion flavor it gave the homemade tomato sauce.

IMG_1624

The bacon gave it a nice slight salty/smoky kick. Man, these ingredients all melded together into a ridiculously amazing tomato sauce filled with chunky tomatoes, pieces of bacon, sliced leeks, and fresh garlic.

IMG_1627

Aaaand the final result sprinkled with chopped basil and parm (p.s. the hubs had two of these):

IMG_1628

My verdict? A must try!

Second topic, miss Erica and I were lucky enough to be sent this fantastic little package from Campbells (disclaimer: we received these products for free).

Campbells BagSoup Group 2

Erica chose to sample the tomato and Light Chicken and Vegetables. Now, she has not had a chance to sample the tomato yet, but I will say, I have grown up eating Campbell’s tomato soup and it is by far my fave of all tomato soups. I love eating it with a hot grilled cheese sandwich to dip in the soup! It is creamy and full of tomato goodness.

Erica’s review on the Light chicken and vegetable:

Chix and Vegetable Soup

"I was surprised how filling and flavorful the soup was (given its a light soup). I topped my soup with avocado slices and it made for an awesome dinner. My only complaint would be the large amount of sodium in the soup. Their are two servings per container and each serving has 20% of your daily recommended amount of sodium."

The hubs sampled the Chunky Sirloin Burger. First off, this was a great meal for him because there are nights he just doesn’t have time to show down on a big homemade meal. I microwaved this up for him and served it with pita chips, dinner in a snap!

It was incredibly filling (which is great for a big guy like him!) and full of chunky veggies and big pieces of meat. He said he too was a little wary of the sodium content, but said it tasted great.

I took the Select Harvest Mexican-Style Chicken Tortilla to work with me for lunch and it was great! Super easy to take with me because it was in the easy microwavable container. This soup was also very filling - I loved the black beans and corn – two of my favorite things! Most soups I get are pretty high in cholesterol, especially if there’s meat. But, this one was very low in cholesterol and saturated fat, so it made for a pretty guilt-free lunch =)

Happy Saturday!! Any fun meals planned this weekend?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That soup looks and sounds awesome!!!
I don't really know what we're doing this weekend....
Hope you have an awesome weekend!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Yayyy for another winning recipe! I am seriously loving this "series" you have going. I am bookmarking all the recipes you recommend!!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

That Rachael Ray is pretty good!
Your spaghetti looks really tasty!
I cooked something great last night (see blog :-))

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

Ooo I love reading your reviews of Rachel Ray's Top 10! I love leeks in soup, they really do give the best light onion flavor. Nice review of the Campbell's stuff I have always enjoyed some of their soups for lunches.

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

I just cooked a meal for Wee 'Burb with leeks. I made a casserole with potatoes, milk, parmesan and leeks.

We ended up stealing it from her :) I think she had like two bites.

Annie said...

OOOO this looks good! I am for sure trying this!

Pound said...

there is MY excuse to finally try cooking with leeks also! can't wait to try this! thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Bacon and leek! That's all I had to read and I knew that I would have to try this recipe!

Liz Bridges said...

I really think that spaghetti looks great. Sometimes I don't like Rachel Ray's recipes because she can put strange hard-to-find ingredients in, but this recipe looks really good and simple! Thanks for posting!

I hate that canned soups are often so high in sodium. I also am starting to be sort ofr wary about the canned soups because they are saying a lot of the cans have BPA in them. It seems like nothing is safe anymore!

fittingbackin said...

Great reviews! I love campbell's products but have gotten so used to only using their soups to cook with - i'll have to try to eat one on its own! I love the idea of topping with avocado slices, too!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

I love spaghetti - it looks so good! The added leek takes it to the top.

This weekend it's all about chili for the game. I'm just able to prep it for the crockpot.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

That pasta recipes sounds so delicious! I just recently used leeks for the first time too and was so impressed with them. I bet with the bacon they were a match made in heaven!