Thursday, January 1, 2009

Beans With a Side of Beans

Hello! I hope you all had a great New Years! Josh and I spent the rest of the night watching Wanted (a little strange but SO good) and Entourage. This morning, I woke up and decided it was time to go for a run outside! I took it easy and did three miles. Before I left, I had half of this Jam Frakas bar:


I ate the other half when I got back. My thoughts...eh. It tastes like they just add a little PB and a few crisps to a lara. I like the Larabars better! I think they should just make smaller Laras!

Next, I cleaned the apartment and then Josh and I ran out to do errands. Along the way I got a Grande Skim Caramel Macchiato, it was delicious.

The rest of the day was spent watching more entourage and the Penn State game (they're not doing so well :( ). Tonight we're going to watch House Bunny. For dinner, I used two of my Christmas presents, a new Electric skillet from my mom:
And a fry pan from my sister (its HUGE):

I made a Mexican inspired dinner using a whole lotta beans. On the side we had TJ's refried black beans. I had seen these on a lot of other blogs and they are AWESOME!
I also made Quesadillas using Kraft 2% Mexican Cheese Blend with no added growth hormones:

Half of the Quesadillas were filled with corn and black beans and the others with the leftover sloppy lentils:

My not so secret ingredient that I always add to quesadillas- chili powder!


I always make a HUGE plate and whatever is leftover goes into work with Josh the next day:


It has been such a relaxing and wonderful day! How are you spending your first night of 2009?

26 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yes, Larabar DOES need to sell the mini versions!! Down with Jamfrakas ;-)

Great new skillet!! And hooray for beans!!

K from ksgoodeats said...

Yes - LARABAR REDUCE YOUR SIZE!!!

Love all the quesadillas, yum! Chili powder is a good idea!

I'm spending the first night of 09 catching up on sleep I missed!

Anonymous said...

im having a pretty relaxed first night of 09 as well. just staying in and curling up with a book!

Anonymous said...

Dang! That IS a big skillet, haha you can fit 3 tortillas! I'm spending my first 09 night watching USC wiiiiin :D

Megan said...

mmm those quesadillas... youre a girl after my own heart :)

happy 2009!

Laura said...

I love quesadillas! I'd like a smaller larabar version too.

I'll be going to bed early tonight.

Becca said...

Ugh, be glad you aren't at my hosue right now...lots of yelling and swearing at the tv...

the quesadillas look great :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay beans! Haha you can't have too many beans... well maybe you can, but let's not go there ;o)

Anonymous said...

I heard the Jamfrakas were kinda not so fab!
How have you been?! I've missed you Erica!
Beans are the best. :) So cheap and healthy!

Unknown said...

i had the same "eh" feeling about the jam frankas... but thanks for reminding me i have some of those refried beans :)

Anonymous said...

Beans are a staple in our household. So good + so healthy! I've never tried the TJ's refried beans, so thanks for the rave review. I will pick some up next time I'm there!

Jenn said...

I love new cooking gear.

I'm staying in and watching movies. I'm starting the new year in a really lazy way. :)

Anonymous said...

i have those exact beans in my shelf right now! MM those quesadillas look so good!
random question, is Itzy your nickname?

Esi said...

I totally love that TJs black bean dip! Happy New Year!! I liked Wanted too, it's weird, but entertaining. Hope you are having a great night!

Bridget said...

Delicious quesadillas!! I still want to try those jamfrakas bars.

Hope you had a fabulous New Years!!!

Amira said...

Ooohh those quesadillas look great-they're makin me hungry! Just found your blog, it's really cool anyway hope your 2009 is great
I plan to spend my first 2009 night reading a book in bed and being extremely comfortable and relaxed- hopefully the year will follow as such

Anonymous said...

Wow - that frying pan IS huge. What a great gift!

We had sloppy lentils tonight for dinner as well...and chili powder makes everything betta. :)

Glad you and Josh are enjoying 2009 thus far!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, YUM! Everything looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you make a huge plate of quesadillas! Thanks for sharing your secret ingredient, too - it's a good one ;o)

Love the new cooking supplies and I totally agree with you on the Larabar issue - Larabar, if you're out there...SELL THE SMALLER BARS IN STORES!

I'm spending my first night relaxing with the family...only 3 nights left for me to do that!

B_Hlthy said...

I wish Larabar would sell those mini's too! I replied to an email about getting free lara stuff and they never sent me anything! Its kinda freaking me out!

Those quesidilla's look AMAZING! You inspired me to make some of those bad boys and quarter them like you did, great idea!

Maria said...

Sorry Penn state lost! I was cheering for them. I love sending leftovers with my josh too! I love all the beans! Have a good weekend!

Aggie said...

Love those sloppy lentil quesadillas! Sounds like a nice day!

Have a great monday!!

Anonymous said...

Ha, my daughter and I were thinking about renting House Bunny too!

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

I almost bought those black refriend beans this weekend! My friend did instead and she said they were delish! :)

I love all the "skinny" drinks from Starbucks - they make me happy :)
Happy 2009!

Anonymous said...

Funny we got a frying pan for Christmas too. The old one was starting to peel in the middle. It still lasted 4 years which is longer then the first on…2 years. Hopefully this new one will last a long time. We make a lot of omelets and egg sandwiches, and stir fry. I’m getting hungry =)

CECIL said...

Happy New Year to you!! I have not been around blogging, away for 3 weeks for vacation and it was crazy end of year 2008. However, quesadilla was the first thing I made after returning from vacation. Perfect for quick dinner (have nothing in fridge except beans and cheese) in this cold weather.