Now that its February, some of the goals you set for the New Year may be slipping out of your mind. I think today is a great day to revisit your goals and either celebrate yourself (if you’re achieving them or working towards achieving them), adjust them (if you’ve found them to be unattainable) or reset yourself (if you’ve let them slip away). One of my main nutrition goals is to focus back in on protein. Since becoming a vegetarian, I’ve let my counts get a little slow. I am now setting a goal of 75 grams per day. I am going to achieve this by incorporating some form of protein into all of my meals and leaning back on my Jay Robb Egg White protein a bit. I will be holding myself accountable by posting my daily protein intake here at the end of each week. What are your goals? Are you meeting them or working towards meeting them?
Second up, I made up an easy recipe of beans & rice with vegetables to eat as part of my dinner later tonight
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (you could also use quinoa, barley, etc)
- 1 cup drained beans (or you could use a combination of a few different kinds of beans)
- Olive Oil (~1 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup Chopped onion (or more if desired)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Other veggies (frozen corn, frozen peas, bell pepper, Brussels, whatever you have on hand)
- ½ cup salsa (or tomato sauce or marinara)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes. Add beans, fresh vegetables (if using), tomato sauce and spices. Heat through or until vegetables are at desired tenderness level. In last few minutes of cooking, add frozen peas/corn (if using). Stir in rice, serve.
Third, how are your workouts coming this week? My classes are going well! I have a heavy teaching schedule this week, as I’m subbing for a few instructors.
- Monday: Taught Body Pump, ran to warm up
- Tuesday: Taught Body Attack
- Wednesday: Off
- Thursday: Teach 45 minute Body Step, 45 minute Body Pump
- Friday: Teach Body Pump, quick run to warm up
- Saturday: Teach Body Step
- Sunday: Teach Body Pump
Lastly, thank you all for sharing your super bowl plans! We’re having a few friends over our house. My plan is serve turkey chili, Rhodey Girl’s Zaatar Bread, Vegetables and Spicy Hummus, Chips & salsa, Fruit and Cool whip (or TruWhip) dip (combine one container of cool/truwhip and 1 fruit yogurt) and a few desserts (black bean brownies and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies).
What are you up to this weekend??