Welcome to the weekend! You just have to love a four day work/school week! What are you up to this weekend? I honestly have pretty much no plans…and I am excited about it :)
As Fall is creeping closer, I am CRAVING soup. I have seen various takes on cream of carrot soup in so many magazines lately, I decided to try my hand at my own version.
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 16 oz carrots & parsnips, chopped (the parsnip flavor comes out pretty strong, so I suggest starting with only a little parsnip if you’re unsure about the flavor or use all carrots)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 28 oz vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup skim or low fat milk
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Toppings: jalapenos, Greek yogurt, cheese, etc!
- Heat olive oil or butter in a soup pan.
- Add chopped carrots, parsnips & onion, cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add broth, chili powder & red pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add milk, cover, and simmer for ~15 minutes (stir on occasion).
- Remove from heat and blend using an emulsion blender (alternatively you could use a regular blender, but be careful with the heat!!).
- Add cooked rice, place in bowls & top
We tried the soup both totally pureed and partially. We preferred it partially pureed with some chunks of carrots and parsnips remaining:
I want to try making a vegan version with cashew cream!
What is your favorite kind of soup?? I love cream of asparagus as well as black bean and vegetarian chili.