Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Social, Crown Royal & New Favorite Recipes

Happy Wednesday! We’re halfway there. Tonight, I attended a special media event in Charleston at Social Restaurant + Wine Bar (disclaimer: I attended this event for free).

IMG_3034

I was excited for the event for three reasons, 1. I really enjoy meeting other Charleston bloggers/media,  2. I had never been to Social before, and 3. the event was being thrown to introduce us to Crown Royal Maple. Crown Royal Maple is the brand’s newest effort. According to the company, “the liquid combines the legendary taste of Crown Royal with a touch of maple flavor, resulting in a uniquely smooth tasting experience.” (EXCUSE my flash, it was dark!)

IMG_3036

Since I do not drink, I brought my Whisky expert (and food enthusiast) Uncle with me. 

IMG_3056

Also at the event were Katie and Kerr. So great to catch up with them.

IMG_3070

Crown offered a number of signature drinks to taste test:

IMG_3038

My Uncle tasted each of the beverages listed above and liked the maple on the rocks best!

IMG_3040

I gave it a little sip, definitely a nice, sweet flavor. The smell of maple was everywhere!

Outside the beverages, Social offered some delicious appetizers:

IMG_3046

There was a drink making contest and the best drink maker won this beautiful guitar:

IMG_3042

Before submitting our recipes, Crown Royal’s master of Whisky, Gerry Graham,  lead the group through a tasting/cheers.

IMG_3060

IMG_3055

IMG_3061

And Mixologist Troy Sidle, from nationally recognized cocktail and spirit consulting company, Alchemy, walked us through the process of creating a tasty cocktail!

IMG_3065

IMG_3067

And then it was GO time!

IMG_3043

 IMG_3045

IMG_3050 

We didn’t win…but Katie did!!! Congrats!!

           IMG_3075 

Such a fun event!!!

On a side note, I have been enjoying some delicious recipes from other bloggers. Two of my favorites: 1. Maria’s quinoa spinach macaroni and cheese. I made it with pepper jack cheese and ground red pepper vs. sharp cheddar and nutmeg:

IMG_3008

IMG_3012

I also made Lynn’s Peanut Butter Yogurt Oatmeal bars. SO good!

Have you made anything new/fun lately? Links welcome!

14 comments:

Christina said...

i'm so sad I missed hanging out w/ you guys!!!

Lee said...

I don't like whisky at all but Jason loves it. You know, I never noticed that you don't drink.

Brittany Dahn said...

Ditto what Christina said. I wish I could have made it but glad you had such a good time!

Simply Life said...

looks like a fun event to attend!

Heather said...

What a fun event!!!!
I made buckeye brownies that I found on Pinterest for a party this week - they turned out great. You can't ever go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate. :)

itzyskitchen said...

We missed you! Hope you're feeling better!!

itzyskitchen said...

We missed you!!

itzyskitchen said...

Agree! PB and chocolate- amazing! Send me the link!!

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life said...

Looks like such a fun event! I'm making pork for the first time this weekend. We'll see how it goes!

Katie said...

Hooray! It was a fun night. Kerr and I both had a lot of fun with you and your Uncle!

itzyskitchen said...

You too! We must hang out more

Kerr said...

I still am in shock! It was a fun night. Hope to see you again soon!

natalie@thesweetslife said...

I think we went to social when we were in Charleston! Great place!

Blond Duck said...

Quinoa mac and cheese? DROOLING!