Monday, July 11, 2011

Hot Mayo-less Chicken Salad, Take 1

I usually am not a big Sunday fan, but this Sunday was a good one! I slept in a bit (well half slept in a bit—baby to-be kept me up the majority of the night) and then headed to brunch with my parents and Josh at the Boathouse on IoP.  We sat on the back porch:

IMG_2504
Our meal started with delicious biscuits with cinnamon butter:

IMG_2506

Josh & my Dad:

IMG_2507

My Mom & I:

IMG_2508

Josh got an egg sandwich with awesome grits:

IMG_2509

And I had a chicken salad with balsamic dressing:

IMG_2510

 

It was great to just catch up with my parents!! The biscuits really MADE the meal- mmmm.

 

Boathouse at Breach Inlet on Urbanspoon

The rest of the day included a walk outside, learning Body Pump, doing a little work and relaxing. A very nice Sunday!

I wanted to share a recipe with you that is in-progress. My Mom brought an awesome hot chicken salad to our Easter celebration. Since then, I’ve wanted to make a similar version, sans mayo. Saturday night was my first attempt:

Hot Mayo-less Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cooked, diced chicken (.75 lbs)
  • 1 cup diced broccoli slaw (or celery)
  • 1/4 cup diced water chestnuts (or sliced almonds)
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning (or similar spices)
  • 1/2 cup plain chobani or other Greek yogurt (could also use sour cream or mayo)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

IMG_2498

 

IMG_2500

IMG_2502

The result was tasty, but needs a little something more. Josh and I are going to alter the recipe to make it a little more Mexican-ish (with corn and jalapenos).

Do you wait until you have a recipe just perfect to post it?

I will be participating in the fundraiser for Susan on July 25 (buy my baked goods!!). Janetha did a big post about the Great Fundraising Act that you can read about here

image_thumb5

No comments: