Friday, June 10, 2011

Shrimp Wonton Soup–Take 1

 

HAPPY FRIDAY! This has been a semi-busy week and I am super excited for the weekend! What do you have on tap?  Tonight, we’re doing dinner with my parents. Saturday morning,  I am teaching Pump (Amelia and Lindsay are coming!) and then we’re hitting up somewhere for food. The rest of the weekend??

Last week, Josh mentioned that he really wanted Wonton soup, but that he wanted a healthier homemade version. Now, I’m not a greasy Chinese food fan, so I’ve never had wonton soup. I researched recipes on the web and came up with my own version (which was served with fried rice):

IMG_2310

Ingredients:

  • 8 large shrimp, cooked through (I boiled mine) and cooled
  • 1- 8 oz can water chestnuts, diced (divided)
  • ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 14 wonton wrappers
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage (divided)
  • 32 oz low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

Directions:

Chop shrimp into small pieces. In a bowl, combine, shrimp, ¼ can water chesnuts, 5 spice powder, soy sauce and ¼ cup cabbage.

IMG_2311

Spread wontons on a towel.

IMG_2312

Spread filling evenly between the wonton wrappers.

IMG_2313

Wet fingers and twist wrappers to form purses or envelops (envelops are easier), using the moisture to seal them shut.

IMG_2315

Heat chicken or vegetable broth over medium heat until broth comes to a simmer. Add ¾ cup cabbage, remaining water chestnuts and purses/envelopes and cook for 10 minutes (until wrappers appear more translucent). Serve! If you’d like, top with chopped green onion.

IMG_2318

Now, this soup was tasty….but it wasn’t a real Chinese food takeout tasting soup. Anyone have any good wonton soup recipes to share?? Let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never had wonton soup before either. Hmmm I'll have to ask Jacob if he has.